ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 271 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#25543 05/12/03 07:37 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Well here's to 5 years..

Of all the experiences i can recall, being berated by those with less grey matter than God gave geese , while maintaining some sense of personal civility, has been the hardest for me to learn.

Methinks there would be some classification, perhaps a pshycological diagnosis to achieve said constitution?

I've also been made to understand the mechanics of stress that goes with the lifestyle.

There's cause/effect that goes with the constant hegemony (hematuria anyone?)

It helps me if i focus on the end result, not the person(s) flapping thier traps....

And yourself?

Any advice?

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 05-12-2003).]

#25544 05/12/03 10:35 PM
G
Sometimes it seems that theory and the NEC are the easy parts.

Thick skin and as they say in the fight game"A good beard" help.

I suspect that sparkys constantly working in areas of no AHJ or inspections,and must constantly justify their methods and installations to uninformed,combative,haggling customers,are subject to more stress than the average sparky.

Focusing on the end result of a good safe ,code compliant installation that will outlive me helps more than anything.

I've found that graying hair and throwing a few big words around(obvious signs of wisdom) are priceless. [Linked Image]

Russell

[This message has been edited by ga.sparky56 (edited 05-12-2003).]

#25545 05/13/03 12:59 AM
A
Dealing with know it know nothings is hard. Superior types are worse.

I find I am my own worst enemy in overthinking things. Or pro-jecting instead of project-ing.

Hey I just made that up and I really think that is the cause of half my stress.

Saying no and walking away from bad projects before I accept and they eat me alive seems to have always been a pretty strong suit of mine. Now I just need to learn to put my thoughts on the shelf.

#25546 05/13/03 08:09 AM
W
Congrads on your 5 year mark. The only advice I can give yah is never fall short of intuition.

#25547 05/13/03 07:16 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Thanks Ange [Linked Image]

pardon my pretentious rant, i've simply worn out all my fav obsenities....

the nature of the construction beast dictates such ...

stress levels seem to fester on some jobs as they progress, diversion is a common tactic, sympahty another, dominance (frog pond mentality) prevalent....

so..how do others dodge the bullet?

or unwind?

#25548 05/13/03 10:26 PM
Choices....choose.....the decisions we make...
I was reading this thread, and my mind wandered to this blasted job that I have going, and then it wandered to another cotton pickin' job that I have. Then, I said to myself, "Self, you don't have any buisness thinking about this junk." So, for about the next hour, I won't think about the job, and then I may have to work the process again. I don't always worry about jobs, but when I do, I can usually work my way through it. When I say I worry about jobs, it is usually about the people, as you say, flapping their traps.
As for the geese in your life, bust a cap on 'em. I like ducks better.
Remember, spark, life is good.

Quack, quack,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#25549 05/14/03 08:44 PM
W
Sometimes when you are up to your keester in aligators you tend to forget that the reason you are there in the first place was to drain the swamp.

#25550 05/14/03 10:59 PM
G
I read that Teddy Roosevelt,when faced with Presidential problems and stress,would walk out onto the balcony at night and look up at the stars for long periods of time. When he returned, he would state"There! I feel small again."

Personally,tho sometimes bothered by depression, if it's unwinding I'm after, I climb into my 4wd Toyota,and drive as far as some of these old mountain trails will take me. Job pressures disappear as I coax it over rocks,thru mud,and sometimes up the creek as far as I can go.

Of course my fishing pole always goes too!

Russell

Link Copied to Clipboard