ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
azcont Offline OP
Hello all,

First time on this board. Really like it so far. Thanks to all for the great posts on the many threads.

Residential panel with very minor arc damage to bussing and discoloration on one meter socket. A bolt loosened up after a power outage or had been loosening up over 20 years panel was installed.

I am mainly a commercial contractor but the customer is a family friend. I really don't know what the right thing to do is. I could buff out the busses and re-bolt. Or try to find replacement parts which I think will be difficult. Or I will need to replace the whole panel.

Not the area I am strongest in. I am reluctant to take on the liability of repairing a 20 year old panel that two-four other electricians/homewners have already added to with pool, spa, Malibu lights, Lighting and a few other additions.

At the same time I want to give this customer the best possible advice. Too bad I could not get the utility company to bear the burden. But the bus turned out to be loose not just a loose jaw on the meter.

What do you think? One to walk away from/turn to a bigger outfit. Or go ahead and rig it?

Thanks, Robert

S
If you are reluctant to take the responsibility for repairing this panel, the most prudent albeit expensive way to go is to replace it.

Also, even if you re-bolt it, wouldn't you run the risk of it going bad again in the future? Metal fatigue and all that....

At leat with a new panel, you're covered by a warrantee and you know it's new and the job was done right the first time.

Just my opinion....good luck

S
I've told many that i can bandaid things today with no guarantee....

Same as a soup can for a muffler repair

E
Replace the panel.

M
Hi Robert:
With all the additions which have been made over the years, it occurs to me that the time is right for an upgrade. In the interest of safety, you certainly can't go wrong. Best wishes. I hope the job goes well. [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

By the way, Welcome to ECN!!

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 05-12-2003).]

A
azcont Offline OP
This problem has been weighing on my mind on an off today as my customer battles with local utility and original panel manufacturer.

I really thought from the minute I saw the panel with the meter out[Replact the panel you idiot]to myself. I just really needed some feedback on my thoughts. I appreciate all your posts.

I noticed on what I could read off the flaking old paper panel lable that the panel was rated for 150 amps. Later on the lable it was rated for 150 amps continuous. Which did not make sense to me. The main was a 200amp. Original? Who knows.

Thanks for the reassurance to sell the panel upgrade/changeout.

Link Copied to Clipboard