ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Does anyone out there know if you have to be liscenced to work as an electrician in the state of Ohio? Any info would be helpful.

I
Some info here: http://www.contractors-license.org/oh/oh.htm

Apparently there is a reciprocal agreement with West Virginia. I don't know if that helps you at all. (One in forty-nine chance?)

T
Can't be worse than tx, there is no state liscence here, it's all in the cities, god help you if you cross a city limit...<G>

B
Originally posted by darkriseid:
Does anyone out there know if you have to be liscenced to work as an electrician in the state of Ohio? Any info would be helpful.

I work in the state of Ohio, I am state certified and have been for 8 years, at present, all that is required is to be state certified; and each county and City a license is required. However, some counties made it extremely difficult for state ccertified electricians to get a license in their county or city, afterall if you have a state certificate you should be able to work in any county in the state, right ?
The new change will take place after september 21, 2001, a new law says that if you are state certified your state certificate will then become a state license, when I renew in March 02 the certificate will be re-worded as a licnese.
If one is not now state certified he can be grandfathered into the program.

B
Originally posted by bordew:
I work in the state of Ohio, I am state certified and have been for 8 years, at present, all that is required is to be state certified; and each county and City a license is required. However, some counties made it extremely difficult for state ccertified electricians to get a license in their county or city, afterall if you have a state certificate you should be able to work in any county in the state, right ?
The new change will take place after september 21, 2001, a new law says that if you are state certified your state certificate will then become a state license, when I renew in March 02 the certificate will be re-worded as a licnese.
If one is not now state certified he can be grandfathered into the program.

To add an addendum to the above, first you must take the state test for Electrical Contractors, the test is an all day affair, so bring your lunch, Code and calculator are permitted the test last about 8 hours.

B
Originally posted by itannicnic:
Some info here: http://www.contractors-license.org/oh/oh.htm

Apparently there is a reciprocal agreement with West Virginia. I don't know if that helps you at all. (One in forty-nine chance?)
Yes that is correct our state has a reciprocal agreement with west-by-god, why anyone would want to go there is beyond me, but yes we have one.

I'll take that in a good way...

(Tom? Max? George?)

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
R
Originally posted by tajoch:
Can't be worse than tx, there is no state liscence here, it's all in the cities, god help you if you cross a city limit...<G>
Same in PA. You can spend $500-800 each year paying local fees. Most localities don't even have exams. (Phila. does have 4 hr.test)

B
Originally posted by sparky66wv:
I'll take that in a good way...

(Tom? Max? George?)

Was only kidding but I am sure you have heard the stories. Up here in Warren we have a lot of displaced West Virginians.
Tom,Max and George.

Tom Offline
Bordew,

I was riding to my jobsite last week (about 2 hrs away from home). I was on good ole' US Route 250, up on a ridge, sun was coming up, fog laid in the valleys like cotton balls, air was crystal clear, could see maybe 20+ miles. Reminded me why I am a Mountaineer by choice. [Linked Image]

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard