ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 411 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#25428 05/09/03 01:27 AM
F
hey bill i hate to add more debate here but look under "moible home " they required 4 wires set up for very long time and i know city of Chigargo ( sorry for spelling) have required the same thing too for many years too i belive they enfore it sometime back mid 60 or early 70's i am not sure when it was in effect i belive it was the same time as mobile home use same way but now it is more common to use 4 wire set up and feel more safer to use it yeah i did use 10-2 some time 10-3 for dryer ditto for stove but use 8-2 or 6-2 before now have to use 6-3 for stove useage

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#25429 05/09/03 08:46 AM
Marc,

Yes, I agree that 4 wire has been required for a long time in Mobile Home installations.

Do you know of some code reference that said that 10-2 was ever permitted for Dryer installations? Or 8-2, 6-2 NM cables for Stoves?

Bill

Bill
#25430 05/09/03 04:43 PM
I
Bill I do not know if 10/2 was "legit" only that it never failed inspection.

This would be around 82 to 86 Boston area.

I was a apprentice then and did what I was told.

Another short cut this company was good for, in sub panel applications we would rough in dryers with 10/3 and stoves with 6/3 AL SER this would pass on rough inspection.

Then when I was sent back to do finish he would have me use 3W outlets and cords, inspectors would never catch this.

When I asked why we bothered to run the right cable in the first place the answer was "because if we get caught we will not have to damage the building finish to fix it. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I work for a professional company now. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#25431 05/09/03 05:12 PM
I
I have not done mobile homes but aren't they set up with a main breaker outside and subpanel inside?

That would necessitate the 4W outlets to be used.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#25432 05/10/03 12:03 AM
F
bob , yes it is set up that way for mobile home have main disconntion at meter socket outside of mobile home useally up to 30 feet away from mobile home and have underground wire buried or run in conducts ( new one are required to run in conduct anyway) and the size of main breaker varies alot from 50 amps to 200 amps but 100 and 200 is more common and they have breakerbox inside can be either 100 or 200 amp main box. our inspecter allow the outside breaker as main ocpd and sized the conduct as need useally #2 alum or #4 copper depend on type (100 A) or 4/0 alum or 2/0 copper for 200 amps and inside main breaker will still the same but older mobilehome parks have older conducters there and we are allowed the max per conducter it is there .

anymore question just drop a line to me i will try my best to answer it

but i cant find the code refernce about allowing 2 wire appiations i know i did disconute that useage way back early 90's excat time i dont rembemer it . also it is very common in early time to use 10/3's with white wire for both nuterul and ground the same time that was my curpit when i move in usa from france it was backward there i will expain other time with that

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard