ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 276 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#25148 04/27/03 08:20 AM
T
tmon Offline OP
Does anyone know of a Life Safety code that would require battery backed egress lighting to be installed in restrooms? Do most of you install them in restrooms? I am just wondering if we do it just as a good idea?? Thanks

R
700.16 (all required means of egress lighting,) I'd say finding your way out of a strange restroom, during a emergency, in the dark, is a life safety issue.

Russ

RussM:
The way I understand the question of this thread is "are emergency light units REQUIRED in restrooms, and if so, what is the "Code Reference".

IMHO, the NEC does not specify the locations of exit and emergency lighting units, only the wiring and circuitry procedures for the units. The "placement" of exit/em. lts is determined by the Fire Official. (or the architect/engineer; subject to approvals during plan review by the Fire Official.

In this area, some localities require em ltg in rest rooms, some do not. We have em ltg in small retail restrooms, but not in large office buildings...

John

John
G
If I may jump in here,John and or Russ m, if you were doing a job where there was no inspection and the responsility was on you to do it right,would you put them in to cya? Reason for no inspect is there's not one in my county. Russell

Russell,

As a CYA I think that it would be best if you familiarized yourself with the State adopted Building and Fire Codes. I am not very familiar with mine, but luckily my Inspector is, so I have some help being compliant. I doubt that no inspections is any legal excuse for not knowing and following the codes.

Bill

Bill
G
Thanks Bill I'll do that.

G
Gwz Offline
Don't have the reference handy now, but in 1990 in an Indiana Bldg Dept Q&A newsletter a question was asked (paraphrasing)
Q - " In areas where there is not a Building Department, ie. no inspections, is the installer required to abide by the electrical code?"

Again paraphrasing,

A - " All electrical installations in Indiana to be installed per the Indiana Electrical Code (IEC)."

In my estimation, There is a lot of IEC violations ' out there '.

Gwz,

Thanks for the paraphrased confirmation on that. After seeing some recent presentations based on some legal issues that Contractors should be aware of, and how Ins. Co. Fire Investigators work with Lawyers I'm convinced that we all should be examining some things more closely. In basic terms, one thing I got out of it is that ignorance of the Laws and Codes is no excuse for a Contractor. They should know better and will be held responsible if something happens.

It makes answering the phone more dangerous every day. [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
R
NFPA 101 (Life Safety Code) is broken up into types of occupancy. What type are you talking about?

Gentlemen:
Let me add a little:
For "most" of our regular clients, the installation of "additional" em lights is a normal thing, as they have concerns about safety. However, the units are "additional" and are not "code required".
I had an instance where we had to install an em pack at the outside of a small retail store in a shop. ctr. The property manager balked at the requirement, and went to the Fire AHJ. That resulted in having to install two (2) exterior units, 1 in the restroom, and two additional exit units. The AHJ cited the "fire code" and that was that. I did not inquire as to what chapter and verse, but when I talk to that AHJ again, I'll inquire.

Additional units must conform to NEC requirements, require permits and inspection, and have to be maintained. It's always good to CYA.
John

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard