ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 184 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Does anyone know if galvanized ground rods come under the definition of nonferrous ground rod? If so, then does that not fall under the exception of using 1/2" ground rods. Just wondering. Our Lowes here only carries 1/2" galvanized ground rods. I picked up two for a job, because I didn't want to go across town to the supply house. Took a chance on driving them, and was turned down. Inspector said they had to be 5/8", which I always have driven, but I looked at the code, and seen where stainless steel or nonferrous ground rods could be 1/2". Nonferrous must have a broader meaning than I thought. Any thoughts on the matter is aprreciated. Thanks. By the way, it's been a while since I have been able to be on the forum. I had to get a permanent job, which didn't work out, but I'm back on my own again... Work seems to be picking up some again.... Thanks... Steve.

G
Gwz Offline
Is this another case where EVERYONE is convinced the supplier, in this case a ' big box ' supply house, only carries the proper item to meet the NEC ?

Just this week, had an AHJ tell me that [ a well known electrical suppier ] doesn't carry any items which are not listed, such as per NEC 352.10(G).

R
Steve
The galvanizing on the surface of an iron or steel rod does not make it a nonferrous rod. Does your magnet stick to the rod? If so it must be at least 5/8".
Don

Don(resqcapt19)

Link Copied to Clipboard