ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#24530 04/16/03 12:56 PM
E
A client contacted me yesterday to ask if I had heard about how to save $$$ on the power bill. My client was contacted by a firm that, after relanding cable terminations, would split the power bill savings with them.

[b]This links to the basic idea.[/b]

Any one run into this?

Al Hildenbrand
T
Things that make you go Hmmmmm......! [Linked Image]

I'm curious as to what is used on the terminations ? Is the product UL listed for use on the equipment involved ? Is the equipment UL listed for use with this product ? Is the wire involved listed for use with this product ? Lotsa Quetions

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 04-16-2003).]

Donnie
R
Look at a 240 volt single phase circuit with an 80 amp load. To reduce the current by 16% you would have to reduce the I²R losses by more than 3000 watts at the termination. I really don't believe that a termination has 3000 watts of loss and if it does, it won't last very long before it melts down.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
ElectricAL,
This scheme sounds very dodgy, if it's so good, why isn't it used more widely and why wasn't it used years ago?, or has it and it didn't give any lasting results.
Also, you can't escape the laws of Physics and nature that easily!. [Linked Image]

J
JBD Offline
It appears that you pay the company their share of the supposed yearly savings up front "and instead of paying your local electric provider, you keep a portion and pay EII a portion". You then get your payback from your future utility bills.

Also don't forget to factor in the cost of your plant "down time" when calculating your potential savings.

B
Suggest your client not waste time calling "them" back.

For their magic process to work, spices and terminations would have to be blistering hot, and there will likely be other complaints before that point. Think about this for a bit—it makes good sense.

You can prove it to yourself with a POWER-RATED multimeter on a low-range AC-volt scale. Voltage drop can be carefully but literally measured across cable-to-lug joints—then multiplied by the current through the joint. Roughly, millivolts x amperes = milliwatts of power dissipation in the joint.

{A reference is http://ecmweb.com/ar/electric_testing_contact_quality/index.htm Testing Contact Quality on Live Motor Starters—based on another short EC&M article by me; published in the mid 1990s. A similar discussion is http://ecmweb.com/ar/electric_troubleshooting_electrical_problems/index.htm A significant advance in a number of multimeters is that appropriately-rated meters will not be damaged by accidental application of line voltage while in a millivolt range: this makes the technique workable.}

E
If anyone is tempted to go for this, I would advise them to keep a very close watch on these guys while they do their "measurements".

Ed

P
I'd tell the client to forget about calling them as well. It doesn't add up.

R
And while you're watching your utility bills decline, the special electrochemical emits anti-oxidants that are rich in beta carotene. Your excess weight magically melts away with no need for exercise, your hair grows back, and your cholesterol levels drop while you sleep.

This stuff should be sold on a cable TV channel at 5:00 AM.

T
LOL @ Redsy,.. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]......Sign me up !! I've got all of the symptoms !!!!!!

Donnie
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard