ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
After reading the ' background of the invention' I can see now why NASA sticks to only making rocket fuel.
Going back to the 300 watt loss on a termination that comes out to a 48 ohm resistor in series with the load. Which begs the question, when you get to the customers place of business are the lights on at all.
It would seem to me that when a customer starts having problems with lighting circuits constantly blinking, motors burning up, unless the owner is totally clueless, ought to call his maintenance department to check out the electrical equipment.
Also it would seem expedient to have, or start a good PM program where these connections are periodically checked and when corrosion is found to 'Clean the Conductors' and re-torque the connections.
Annealling and Pickle areas are notorious for corrosion and these places always have period shutdowns just for checking these problems.
MCCs and motor rooms from what I have seen are clean and always checked to ensure the filters are functioning properly and the equipment, such as contactors, brushes, comms, the electronic controls are clean and free of corrosion. If these are not kept up to a reasonable level, the customer loses alot more the money saved in the 16% you are talking about.
I guess the bottom line is that everybody has to have a 'gimmick' and this sounds like a good one.

Wm.Colt

R
electro2
resqcapt19 If you are confident that electrolysis ONLY occurs in wet damp places, you have been misinformed.....go to your chemistry book.
Every chemistry book that I have and the online sources all say that electrolysis requires the presence of a conductive liquid or molten salt.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
R
electro2
Do you have any independent test results from a legitimate third party testing or engineering firm? Does your product have a listing from a NRTL? If not many inspectors will cite its use as a code violation. Do you pull the required electrical permits to do this work?
Don

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 04-19-2003).]

Don(resqcapt19)
R
resqcapt19, sorry, but actually, according to my Physical Chemistry book, an electrolyte can be any ionic condutor. This is especially true in gas phase reactions, or in the presence of solids.

stamcom, Thanks for the condensed explanation, I hope that was a cut-and-paste, because it was rather lengthy

All it really says is this product is a cleaner to mop up after people that make improper connections in the first place, areas where it's really not preventable, or just used as a routine maintenance tool to replace existing methods which work already.

In the 14 years or so that I've been in the making power business, either on a nuclear sub, or with my current employer at a small university power plant, not in one instance have I ever heard, seen or witnessed any "Down Time" to repair a connection because of metal salt deposits.
(Wait, I take that back, our well pump had a bad connection, probably due to condensation caused by the cold water.)

There are inevitable instances where it occurs, especially in areas where corrosive chemicals are used, however in almost every circumstance it's taken care of during a planned outage.

Right now, not counting what we generate, we probably buy on the order of 3000 MWH of electricity per month, some at a fixed firm, some at market price. I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-75K$/month.

If you truly think your product would benefit our electric bill by ripping our main feeders apart, I'd be happy to inform our maintenace manger and plant manager and get a laugh out of it.

Unfortunately for you, as you have stated, there are always skeptics, and rightfully so, for any new product or pitch. If and when there is more pertinent data relevant to your claims, maybe some people will change their mind. Until then, I'm sorry, it's pretty bogus.

[This message has been edited by rat4spd (edited 04-20-2003).]

R
I guess I'm one of the knuckleheads who don't have any sense of chemistry, physics, os metallurgy. Just a lowly electrician who doesn't have patience for people who have no reservation at all to stealing peoples hard-earned money. I do, however look forward to you addressing scientific questions. I doubt an answer will come.
BTW,
The most essential oil of all was omitted from the list..
Snake Oil.

W
When I first saw their list of Herbs/oils I thought it came from a song by Simon and Garfunkle,

And who's to argue with a Phd, I thought that meant Piled higher and deeper, afterall swamp land aint cheap.
Wm.Colt

R
rat4std,
Unfortunately, as you have stated, there are always skeptics for any new product.
So we should never be skeptical of claims made by anyone??? I think that the exact oposite is true....that is we should always be very skeptical of claims like this one, especially in the absence of any third party verification, but if we shouldn't be skeptical, I have some ocean front property in Arizona that I will sell cheaply.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
R
Don, you have mail.

Above re-stated more pointedly

[This message has been edited by rat4spd (edited 04-20-2003).]

B
electro2 — Thank you for the detailed posting.

ElectricAl — Someday maybe all of us will have to concede that you tried to tell us of the next modern miracle.

Being an industry that was recently duped by manufacturer's desires, we are a very skeptical bunch.

(do a search in ECN under "AFCI" or "Arc-fault" for more info)

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard