ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 276 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
I have a very inexp intercom Made by Novi. It utilizes you 100 throughout the house to communicate. After many months of working, it began picking up interference from something.

Units work fine outside of home. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot were interference is coming from?

Thanks, and sorry if this is the wrong place for this post, I am new.

ED

E
Would you please describe the interference? Is it continuous, or is it just occasional? Is it a hum, or is it a static/scratchy sort of sound? Does it happen during certain times of the day?

S
Intermittent static and sometimes a buzz. Any time of the day or night, that's why we had to turn them off. Just happens randomly.

Thanks

It utilizes you 100 throughout the house to communicate
Can you clarify that a bit?

You say randomly, so it doesn't happen all of the time?

Bill
S
I just noticed a typo: should read it uses 110 throughout the house.

No it does not happen all of the time.

Z
Question: Have you installed any fluorescent lighting in the house recently? Have you changed any lightbulbs in the house from incandescent to energy saving fluorescent replacement?

G
stardotstar,
the last time I fooled with those things, they worked on ANY outlet on the particular transformer feeding them, including your neighbors. In a populous area, this can be a problem. The interference may not be yours, but a neighbor using a skilsaw, or any other appliance. I have an electric coffee grinder that wreaks havoc with tv's, radios, etc. this could be your problem. Good luck, in most situations these things work pretty daggoned well.

K
I too, as a shortwave radio listener, have had to track down various sources of RFI (Radio Frequency Interference)coming over the power lines. Here is my hit list:
1. Incandescent dimmers.
2. Electric motors.
3. Fluorescent lighting.
4. Touch lamps.
5. (loudest and hardest to correct) Noise coming in over the POCO lines from dirty insulators or bad pole transformers.
6. Electronic equipment with LED displays, such as VCR's, clock radios etc.
7. HID lighting.

[This message has been edited by kale (edited 04-14-2003).]

T
This is going to sound really stoopid. But try twiddling the volume knob.

My computer's speakers had the same problem, 60 cycle hums, crackles and pops, it would go away if you ran the volume control up and down.

Fixing it involves replacing the volume pot, or getting in there with some sort of tuner wash or other electronic cleaner.

TW

S
Any type of battery charger(s) in the house? I have seen more than one occasion where a charging battery has interfered with electronic components.

Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard