ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 560 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Roger,
It doesn't really make much sense to drive a stake any deeper than 6' over here.
Most of the conductive part of the soil is within these layers anyway.
What length and diameter are your stakes over in the US?.
I once mis-spelt stake on a job sheet at work, the sheet came back with "Is that Medium or Well-Done?" on it! [Linked Image]

H
I had the Bosch electric demo hammer with attachment and it worked great for me. The biggest problem is to stop when the rod gets real tough to install. This way you can still pull it out and try it again.

Z
I like the Hilti drills myself. Expensive, but well worth it.

E
Trumpy, We are allowed to use a 6' rod for temp poles, but for main service grounding it's an 8' rod. The NEC does allow us to cut the rod off if it hits bedrock, however I don't think you could prove the it was "bedrock" that you hit.

F
Is the Hilti T-25 spline, SDS or SDS Max drive? What is the maximum core size you can drill with the TE-25?

JB,

I have a mikita spline drive and I use it often. Driving ground rods is a sinch. $10. attachment set it on hammer only and away you go. Also use it as a jackhammer from time to time. Cot in boxes in brick, block or break up concrete around pole/posts.
I like the spline drive as the bits are less expensive and readly available. So far I have not used it for anyhting larger than 2 1/2" core bit. I am presently bidding a job that will require a 3" conduit though concrete floor. Hope this helps!

Phil

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
E
Just purchesed a Hitachi DH38YE 1-1/2" spline drive special contractors edition rotary hammer and a Bosch ground rod attachment for $450.00 I used it for the first time to drive some rods. SWEET! I can't beleive how many rods I have pounded in with a sledge hammer. This is money well spent!

T
I have asked this question before, with no answers, so I will try again.

Is there anything in the code where it says you can't weld a carbide drill on the end of the ground rod, and use your rotatry hammer to drive it through any thing you come to?

I have a situation here at the 'road where the rock comes to within 4 feet of the surface and of course, guess where the rod is. I have a Milwaukee sds hammer drill, not much slows it down.

Thanks for your tolerance

TW

R
Electric Eagle, you said "Trumpy, We are allowed to use a 6' rod for temp poles, but for main service grounding it's an 8' rod. The NEC does allow us to cut the rod off if it hits bedrock, however I don't think you could prove the it was "bedrock" that you hit."

This has to be a new code article. Where does it allow one to cut off ground rods, or, for that matter, where does it allow 6' rods?

Rick Miell

E
Trainwire, nothing in the NEC but the listing violation nuts might have a problem with it. Dig a 3 foot deep trench and toss it in.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard