ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
I have a GE model 9L15C "Valve Type Secondary Lightning Arrester" as pictured here:
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

It has two black conductors (14AWG) and one white (14AWG). As per the notice printed on the unit itself, the white conductor is connected to ground and the two black conductors are connected to a separate breaker each. The breakers are connected via a handle so that if one trips, the other does also.

The only information I can find on the GE website is for "GE Tranquell Surge Arrestors" which appear similar:
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

Is anybody familiar with these? I'm a bit confused in that:

1. It connects to breakers in such a way as to indicate the unit itself is being protected--yet it is supposed to be a lightning arrestor. (It's not connecting between the line side and load side, but exclusively on the load side.)

2. Apparently, there is no way to test the unit, so how to know if it still works [Linked Image]

3. If it uses 14AWG conductors, should it not be on a 15A breaker rather than 20A?

P
I'm not familiar with this particular model, but it sounds as though it might be a double gas-discharge tube type arrester. We used to have similar protective devices on overhead telephone lines.

Being connected on the load side of the C/B results in the breaker providing protection if the tube shorts out, but it will still shunt lightning discharges to ground because the surge of current is of very short duration -- The tube will fire and conduct the energy to ground long before a normal C/B has time to respond and trip.

W
I have a suge suppressor,similar in design, made by Panamax installed on my house.
It connects to a two pole breaker and ground.
Panamax provides two leds to indicate the device is working properly and gave no requirement for breaker size in the installation instructions.
I think the assumption is made that if the device works as intended, the time period will be faster than the breaker would react anyway.

[This message has been edited by wolfdog (edited 04-07-2003).]

Link Copied to Clipboard