ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#24093 04/04/03 09:26 AM
B
Big A Offline OP
Hello All,

Installed a receptacle yesterday on a screened-in porch. It was about 40" away from the screen. I used an outdoor box and EMT with compression fittings. I stubbed down to a hole I drilled in the 7" concrete slab floor. I bent the offsets, placed the box and thought everything looked mighty fine. The home owner comes home and says "That's not what I wanted. I thought you were going to use that stuff that they use to cover wires." I said "Wiremold?" He says "Yeah, Wiremold" I preceeded to tell him that this was a damp, if not wet location and that Wiremold was for dry, indoor locations. He says "I've seen it outside before." I told him that if he saw Wiremold being used on an outdoor installation that it was not to code. I also told him that I could not knowingly install the stuff where he wanted it and that I didn't think that the inspector would be too happy either. I said that I would be more than happy to take out what I put in and he could get someone else to put up Wiremold.

Well this irked me to no end, so last night I went to a box store and tried to find something else for him. All the Wiremold plainly stated in bold letters "WARNING: USE IN DRY INDOOR LOCATIONS ONLY"

Am I whacked? Is there such a thing as outdoor Wiremold? I told the guy he could paint it but he still didn't seem to happy. But he couldn't have been too PO'ed. He told me to finish this and hang him a light under another porch.

Adam

M
Just my two cents worth...
Code notwithstanding, I would much rather have a nicely fitted EMT installation than wiremold anytime. I think your customer got a much higher quality (and safer)installation.

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 04-04-2003).]

Big A:
Reviewing Article 352 (1999 NEC)
352-1 Uses
(a) Permitted (1) dry locations; (2) Class 1 Div2 as permitted in Section 501-4(b); Under raised floors, as permitted in Section 645-5 (d)(2).

(b) NOT Permitted:
(1) where subject to severe physical damage. unless otherwise approved. (2) Voltage is 300 volts or more, unless metal thickness not less than .040 in. nominal
(3) where subject to corrosive vapors.
(4) In hoistways; (5) where concealed, except as permitted in Section 352-1 (a) (3)

Depending how you "read" 352-1 (a) and (b), there may be differing opinions.

352-1 (a)(1) states "dry locations"
352-1 (b) does NOT mention that "wet" or "damp" locations are specifically "NOT PERMITTED"

Perhaps Don (Resqcapt) can translate this out, or someone will have to suggest a Code change, unless it is/was addressed in the '02

I have to agree with you and mamills; it does not belong in a wet location...the mfg literature states "dry locations only"

John

John
R
John,
This is one of the problem areas with the NEC. It specifies uses permitted, and often it really should only specify the prohibited uses. While the use in damp areas is not prohibited by 386.12, it is implied in 386.10 that surface metal raceways can only be used in dry locations. It also appears to be prohibited by the instructions provided with the product.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
P
Adam, I run into customers like this all the time. He had an idea in his head that you were going to use wiremold because one of his neighbors installed a receptical using wiremold in less than an hour. So when you spent several hours installing his receptacle the correct way as we know it. He was a little shocked and unsure if he was being taken advantage of. Once you explained to him that you performed his installation correctly as the code is written. It sounds like he came around to your understanding.

Don't expect him to admit he was wrong for questioning your work. Just accept the additional work he gave you as a sign of his new respect for you.

Don:
Thank you for the follow-thru.
Perhaps a change for the next Code cycle??
John

John
G
Gwz Offline
Big assumption on my part - -.

I sometimes think the CMP does not prohibit certain installations because during a future code cycle, a new producto may become available that will meet a specific installation.

That may be the case here about the wiremold.

Maybe next year some one will produce a surface mounted product that will be suitable for WET locations.

Why not let 110.3(B) [ installation instructions ] be the deciding factor ?

Link Copied to Clipboard