ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Randy Offline OP
taking the masters in couple of months need some good q&a to study by. not too pricey please.

Randy,

Here's some to start with >> Code Quiz

Questions will be changing soon.

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 04-01-2003).]

Bill
M

E
If you're really interested in passing, take a quality prep course. (Tom Henry does not count)

B
Hello Randy,

When I was gearing up for my master's, I went to my local community college and took a couple of code classes. These classes were taught by one of the local AHJ's so not only did I get to know the code, but I also got to know one of the guys that inspects my work now. Also, because I took his class, I can call him any time and ask him any question I may have about code. No matter how stupid.

Just a piece of friendly advice, take the test as soon as you can after you take one of these classes. If you don't, you will forget most of the stuff you learned. Also, if you just want to wing it on your own, at least get the books they are using. I know the one I used had tons of code questions in it.

Adam

F
Randy:
When I was studying for my journeymans, and then later my masters test, I took an night course at the local vo-tech center. It was time and money very well spent. Both classes were taught by excellent instructors. The journeymans class by a local city electrical inspector and the masters class by a master electrician with a collage masters degree. Both instructors used Tom Henry's and Mike Holt's material along with other sources. I bought a set of Tom Henry's workbooks both times to help with the q&a problems. I scored a 93.5% on my journeymans exam and a 92.9% on my masters test. I still work for someone else, but I am making top money in the company. At times I find myself fielding code questions from the other guys too. It is a nice feeling to have a little bit of extra hard work really payoff. $$$$

I was taught the best way to take one of those tests is to make three passes over the questions so as not to waste too much time. You only have a minute or two to find the correct answer. The first pass over the test you are reading the questions and answering the ones you know right off. The second pass you are going after the harder questions, whether it be open or closed book, you will always have 8-10 questions that you honestly don't know or can't find. These last questions you will have to deal with by process of elimination on the answers or by guessing. This method has always worked for me, so I am passing it along.

The next best advice I can give is the same as what Adam said: don't wait too long afterwards before taking the test.

And GOOD LUCK!

[This message has been edited by fla sparkey (edited 04-02-2003).]

B
Electric Eagle, What do you mean by "Tom Henry does not count"? Do you not consider his company's products and services as QUALITY?

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
E
BPHgravity, I'm sure some of Tom Henry's stuff is OK, but the prep course they offer is junk.
I took a very good prep course about 3 months prior to taking the exam in Georgia. I felt that I had a good grasp of the material, but I decided to take Tom Henry's course the weekend before the exam just as a refresher. It was a waste of time and money. Sure they covered a good bit of the needed info, but at a speed nobody could comprehend. No time for questions, if you didn't understand too bad. Most of the course was designed to get you to buy books and other prep material. I scored a 91 on the test, but would've failed if I had not taken another course first. I can see why a high percentage of people fail the test if they are relying on that course to teach the needed information.

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 04-09-2003).]

B
I thought the point of an exam prep course is to provide as much information as possible so you could go and study on your own until you feel you are ready to sit for an exam. Prep courses are usually not designed to provide comprehensive study. Everyone has the right to their own opinion. I am a friend of Tom Henry and am partial to his work.

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
E
BPHgravity, I really don't mean to be rude, but I can assure you from my personal experience Tom Henry's course is a waste of time and Money. After spending my weekend in the course, I wanted my time back. Perhaps, next time you see Mr. Henry you can tell him he needs to improve the course. The name of the instructor was Jim. The material was incredibly rushed, yet he took long lunches and let class out early every day. I would love to make some suggestions to him if he would e-mail me. I really don't have anything against him, but at this time, based on my experience, I would not recommend his course.

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 04-09-2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard