ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#23922 03/31/03 08:49 AM
I
iwire Offline OP
I have just been told I am to go to a department store to remove some of the neon lighting from the walls.

I am also told I will have to refeed the neon that is staying on the walls.

I have never worked on Neon and have not been impressed with many of the installations I have seen.

Can anyone give me a run down of splices (if they are allowed) what kind of cable do I ask for if I need more, are the transformers matched to the length of the tubes like fluorescents.

This work has been assigned to me and I would like to do a quality and safe job.

Any info would be appreciated, and I will be posting this in another forum to get as much help as possible.

Thanks, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#23923 03/31/03 01:19 PM
L

#23924 04/01/03 01:56 AM
Iwire,
Just a friendly warning,
If you don't already know this,Neon or Cold Cathode Lighting uses VERY HIGH VOLTAGES!!.
Depending on the size of the sign(s), this voltage can vary from 5kV, up to 50kV+.
The secondary side of the supply transformer
(Step-up), needs to have special silicone HV wire used, this is heavily insulated and I would not recommend the use of any splices
on this side of the transformer.
Be very careful around this sort of equipment and make sure that you lock out all of the energy sources relating to the sign circuit(s), there have been some really nasty accidents over the years, with CC lighting systems, don't end up being a statistic!. [Linked Image]

#23925 04/01/03 04:13 AM
I
iwire Offline OP
Trumpy, thank you I would prefer to see my kids grow up. [Linked Image]

lighthouse, the link for "sign web" was just the info I needed along with article 600.

I just got back from the first night of working on this, the original installation was very professional all the GTO cord was in 1/2" flex to the last point possible. The transformers where 277/7500 volt. Mostly removal had to refeed one "tube" but that was no problem.

Thanks for the help (and warning) that's why I asked questions here you can always get some help.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#23926 04/01/03 06:54 AM
Iwire,
I can tell you one thing mate, it doesn't pay to drop neon signs either!.
A few years ago, 4 workmates and I dropped a large (6metres long,18 feet) sign, when two of the guys lifting it slipped over.
It fell down over the frontage of a shop and flattened a guys station-wagon, luckily no-one was in it,at the time.
And then the guy came back to his car and saw this Chinese Restaurant sign laying all over it.
My ears are still ringing from the reprimand
over that one, from the same guy that told us that a crane was too expensive!. [Linked Image]

#23927 04/01/03 04:38 PM
P
I don't know how it's done in the States, but here in Britain the xfmr for neon lighting generally has a ground connection on a center=tap of the secondary, so that on e.g. a 5kV supply each leg would be 2500V to ground.

Still not something to treat with anything but the utmost respect! [Linked Image]

#23928 04/02/03 08:04 PM
I
iwire Offline OP
The job is finished now and it went well. Thanks, again for the help

The Transformers where 277 volt primary with some 5000 and some 7500 volt secondarys and as Pauluk said all where center tap grounded.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts

Link Copied to Clipboard