ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#23661 03/24/03 06:09 AM
T
Thom Offline OP
The purpose of the NEC is to make electricity as safe as possible for everyone. Now I have been around awhile and I think that as time goes by we continue to make definitions more and more complex. At least years ago most people could somewhat grasp the terms HOT, NEUTRAL and GROUND. I know they do not fall into the category of being scientifically correct but.

Now we have to confuse a lot of consumers and many electricians with terms like UNGROUNDED, GROUNDED, and GROUNDING. This is odd because most of the time they have nothing to do with the ground! It is usually about the source of the energy. Why can't we use terms like SOURCE, RETURN, and FAULT? Wouldn't this make it easier to understand for all involved?

There now I feel better. Have a good one. <g>

#23662 03/24/03 06:21 AM
I
Thom, Check out this thread.
Ground or Bond

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 03-24-2003).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#23663 03/24/03 07:06 AM
S
personally i refrain from terminology tounge twisters with customers, the NEC cannot decide what a noodle is anyways.....

#23664 03/24/03 07:48 AM
T
Thom Offline OP
iwire,

Ya, interesting. Sure trying to make it complicated. My point is different that that discussion of grounding and bonding. What I am saying is that the NEC make it confusing by using the word "ground" when they refer to conductors. I think that shoud be changed as noted in my post. "Ground" is very important for providing a path to clear faults and lightning protection. I don't think we should use the word ground after the feeder circuit and associated gear(meters, disconnects, panels). There it is very important! Grounding, bonding etc.

[This message has been edited by Thom (edited 03-24-2003).]

#23665 03/24/03 10:00 AM
E
The Canadian Electrical Code replaced the term "equipment grounding conductor" with the term "bonding conductor" about 15 years ago.
There was too much confusion between system grounding and equipment "grounding".

Ed

#23666 03/24/03 11:12 AM
G
The NEC has a number of precise definitions because it is both a technical document and it is intended to be part of the law.

----

In doing residential installations I find it sufficient to think and talk about DC current flow. (The current flows out through the black wire and back through the white wire. Let's hope that the bare wire carries no current.)

---

I will agree that discussions here about the various types of conductors is too much for most jobs, but it is necessary for some jobs.

Link Copied to Clipboard