ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
I always use new ones wherever possible (unless I don't have the right size at hand). They're cheap enough anyway.

Do the springs inside the splice-cap sometimes get damaged when you unscrew them from an existing splice?

I had one years back where the cap came off leaving the spring behind.... [Linked Image]

C
If you re-use a wire-nut on a new splice that was smaller than the exisiting one, the wire connector may not "grab."

The spring may very well be damaged if the connector was used on a splice that it was not rated for (for instance, a red connector used on 8 #14's)

9 times out of 10, I throw a used connector in the trash when changing splices.

Peter
E
I like to use a new one whenever possible. I try to make sure that I always have a few nuts of every size in a bag in my gang box. (I hate having to order 50 blue when I need 3).

CTwireman: I have found (especially in the bags of 500+) that the spring is dead on a small %. Either new or old, it doesn't matter. Really annoying when you put a nut on a splice and the spring pops out! [Linked Image] It's something that happens to everyone I think, and we all hate it! I've thrown a lot of wire nuts across a building in frustration!

[This message has been edited by Elec_VA (edited 03-21-2003).]

Pete
F
i use the new one also for all the wiresnuts espcally wingnuts be little more carefull...

personally i have a "tackle box" full of wirenuts for quite few diffrent sizes from tiny one to big blue moster nuts but yellow and red and green is most common for me for genral wiring but for other size i have other too ...

yeah yeah of course some wirenut can be plain junk i have it sometime when the spring inside go bad or dont even work and when i remove the old ones few time the spring still stuck on the wires and i have to pull it apart

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

E
An experienced electrician can tell if the "used" wirenut is doing it's job by the "feel" of it as it goes on.

I use Marrettes most of the time, and have had very little trouble reusing them.

Ed

Broom Pusher and

when i remove the old ones few time the spring still stuck on the
wires and i have to pull it apart

Marc,

I love when that happens [Linked Image]

Found a few Wirenuts' Internal Spring turned into a miniature deformed "Slinky Spring" when removing the Wirenut from an existing splice.

I would guess these may have been used prior to when the last Electrician made the splices, or maybe they were from a "Bad Batch"?

My Father also has a big Fishing Tackle box, which is filled with a Potporri of Wirenuts, 6/32-8/32 Screws, and a few other random items! This box is huge!!! It's like the size of a large toolbox!
Must have been made for Marathon Fishing? [Linked Image]

Scott35

BTW, we need to discuss your Railroad background more!!!
Do you have any pictures? If yes, would you mind posting a few here?

S.E.T.

(edited a paragraph, due to numerous typo's! Must be time to log-off, as my fingers aren't working correctly [Linked Image]...)

[This message has been edited by Scott35 (edited 03-22-2003).]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
F
i aggree with you scott !! with old wirenuts are tricky... yeah you got it right deformed slinky sping that is very good word that make me laugh hard.

unforetelly yeah some have bad batch i ran into alot of them from time to time and they do good job for me to swear in frech alot..

ahh yeah scott one box for wire nuts only the second box is for all kind of screws both usa and meteric sizes and my third box is fuses i carry pretty wide varites from auto fuse to big 200 amps fuse (480 volts) and i have big 600 amp sucker on hand and right now i am working on damaged switchborad it have 1600 amp 480 volts that fuse is very expensive it is class t if i recall it but later this week i will pull it off and look like brand new look like use only for a year or so ..

scott ok i was former railroad engineer and mechanic/electican and i have a picture at the railroad forums i will try to transfer it over here and post it here few years ago i use gp8 loco for emegercy generator for one of my coustmer ( the stand by gen was damged by bad fuel [burn gas and diesel at the same time ])

merci marc

Broom Pusher and
Marc,

Nice reply!

If you paste the URL (website's address) for that Locomotive picture - either in a reply post in this thread, or by sending it to me via E-mail, that would be fine too.
What's the name of the site hosting that image?

I haven't seen a GP-8 since about 1988!!! The major carriers around here used them alot (especially in the early 1960's). Southern Pacific RR retained a large fleet of them + renewed/rebuilt versions, and used them primarilly in Branch line subdivisions way up to the late 1980's.
All versions were "High Short Hood" types (Cab or "F" end of unit is not "half the height" of the longer rear section).
Normal running direction was Short Hood Forward.

Never operated a Locomotive (well, I drove one back and forth on a buffer track in a branch district yard!). Sat in the Engineer's seat while running lite, or "For A Short Time" on main line trains. Just looks like I am running the train in the pictures!
Other than those few instances, I have rode in maybe 15 trains total - mostly switching duty, but did have two runs in mainline Passenger trains (Amtrak).
Both were the legacy type F40PH units.

For an employee, I would imagine this becomes "Normal" and not so exciting at times, and maybe even funny for you to see an adult (me being referred to here) so happy to get a ride!

Well, this is becoming a threadjack, so it's time to move things over to a new thread - or just discuss privately.

I'll start a new thread in the Electrical Theory and Applications area, where this subject can be continued.

If possible, I'll toss in some specs. Check that area later tonight.

Scott35

OK, just returning here with a link to the above mentioned topic at the Electrical Theory and Applications area.

Discussions and examples, etc. for Locomotive Talk-Carried over from the General Discussions area will be found in the Elect. Theory / Applications place.

Scott35

[This message has been edited by Scott35 (edited 03-23-2003).]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
F
thanks scott i will be in the other thread about that one

merci marc

Link Copied to Clipboard