ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I quote code like a preacher quotes scripture.

Being able to say: "210.12 requires the use of AFCIs" instead of: " 'cuz it's code" makes me seem more professional, or so I thought. (...just an example...)

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 03-21-2003).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
N
This is just another example of GC's who want the job done at NO cost to them.
How are these people whe it comes to paying their bills?
Once you start a job for them, do they have a clue? do their jobs go smoothly?
If they are slow pay and trouble on the job, look else where.
If they are gripping about an electric evangalist, they do not want quality work.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by nesparky (edited 03-23-2003).]

ed
A
Virgil, there are a few things you must ALWAYS remember about being a sub contractor. "No good deed goes unpunished", "there is no honor among thieves", "the C-rate company with the low bid looks great on paper", and last "someone was wiring these jobs before us and there will be some poor sole doing it after we are long gone."

I dont fall for the dangling carrot anymore. All i can say is if you would not trust someone with your life, dont trust them with your business. C-O-N-T-R-A-C-T!!!

I have learned that code thumping in front of customers and GC usually leads to a p*ssing contest. Now I play dumb and say "i dont know if that is allowed, let me call the inspector on that". Knowing all along that the code does not allow it and as soon as i alert the inspector he'll agree with me. It's a good trick and has always worked for me. Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by arseegee (edited 03-22-2003).]

W
arseegee
That is it in a nutshell Contract, trying to be the NICE-GUY gets you exactly no-where, and especially not paid.

WOC

Electrical Evangelism is just what's needed in your area. It doesn't equate to troublemaking at all, but rather quality.
My Code and safety ravings have earned me some nicknames: "Troublemaker, Prima Donna, Walking Code book, Emperor, Inspector Gadget,...and yes, electure". I still try to stick by my guns, but have realized that you can't save someone from themself.
Those that Mickey Mouse will continue to do so. (and make excuses for it)
It's just a shame that it affects your bottom line and the well being of their customers [Linked Image]...S

Broom Pusher and
Scott (Electure),

Well said!!!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
M
Virgil,

I know exactly how you feel. When I inspect a job, I expect it to meet the code (which, after all, is a set of MINIMUM standards). In return, I'm looked at as (and called) a code Nazi, a self-important bureaucrat, and some things I can't print here. Cutting corners isn't the answer, it's the problem. Don't feel bad about sticking to your guns. After all, you're the guy who has to look in the mirror when you shave. You don't want to stop being able to look yourself in the eye. A good suggestion was made about deflecting the criticism to the inspector. That's one of the things we're here for. I try to strike a balance between the letter of the code and the spirit of the code, and I'm sure you do too. All good electricians and inspectors should strive to do that. Shake this one off, and get on down the road. Sounds like you're not only lucky to be shed of your former partner, but rid of this GC as well. They both sound like a couple of snakes...

S
what inspectors?

where?

constantly having to convince GC's , architechs, homeowners (et all biz prospects) of what quality is in this trade gets old.

i think i've gone toe to toe with my share, earned the nicknames, and lost enough biz to b***h here.

why should i go to EC heaven with fingerless gloves while the people who pump out a code standard every 3 years don't support me?

B
As a homeowner who now has owned 2 homes wired with aluminum wiring, I find my awareness of QUALITY and SAFETY is incredibly higher than ever before. In fact, the home I am in now is the most absurd configuration with half the outlets/receptacles wired into the circuit that supplies power to the garage so I literally have to leave the wall switch in the garage ON if I want the outlet in either the master bath or the guest bath to be LIVE. Ditto for the outlet in the front room that powers the TV. If my hubby turns on an electric saw or power tool in the garage, we have a brown out in the other locations.

The inspector said the developer had 3 electricians (circa 1968), 2 that were so-so and 1 was excellent. My house had the excellent one and though the planning was questionable, the work was done nicely. It still doesn't help the current situation (pardon the pun, I couldn't resist... again). As a homeowner who would like to sleep once in a while and not worry if I'll wake up to an electrical disaster that threatens my family's safety, I have to wonder about the integrity of the GC or the developer when safety is compromised. I know that most potential home owners want a good value but I can't see why they would cut corners on something as potentially dangerous and vitally important as their electrical systems.

Bren,

If I were to guess I'd say that the switch in your Garage is hooked up incorrectly to the wires in that box. This is something that often happens if a switch is installed or changed incorrectly. In other words that situation may be easily resolvable.

Bill

Bill
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard