ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 459 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#23520 03/21/03 09:50 AM
G
GEO Offline
did not know bx was stranded, as i everyone has an opinion,and what is required? or what works the best for them is what you use, opinion are nice , then there is reality,guess i have been doing this to long, enough said! GEO

#23521 03/21/03 11:26 PM
E
I hate stranded!!! [Linked Image]

It annoys me! You can't strip it well with Kleins, it sucks to terminate (small gauge stranded in a lug blows), and making a hook in stranded for a switch or plug, especially if you have to work hot, is evil! I despise making a light tail with stranded. It doesn’t twist up nicely at all. 2 or 3 #10 or #12 solid twist up real nice.

Len_B: I have never worked with stranded DX or MC (at least in the #10-#12 range). I assume you are not talking about an 8-2 MC, or something along those lines. Who do you get it from? Haven’t seen it here (about 8 hours down the coast).

GEO: Never heard if one or the other is required. I think some of it comes down to preference (not the NEC or AHJ), and some comes down to physics. Imagine a 4/0 solid piece of copper. That would suck! In a smaller size I don’t really think it matters much. A #12 THHN Stranded is no different in code than a #12 THHN solid (at least that I have found),

Pete
#23522 03/22/03 07:25 AM
I
Here in MA we use the "MEC" amended NEC.

One of the amendments has to do with terminating stranded conductors.

110.14(A) Delete the last sentence of the first paragraph and insert the following two sentences in it's place

Connection by means of wire binding screws or studs and nuts having upturned lugs or equivalent shall be permitted for 10 AWG or smaller solid conductors. Where stranded conductors are terminated on and not looped through such terminals, the terminals shall be identified for such use or the strands at the terminals shall be made solid.

We use specification grade devices with pressure plate type terminals to meet this code.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 03-22-2003).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#23523 03/22/03 08:31 AM
N
Personally prefer solid up to size 10. Makes easier splices and terminations.
In a cold storage warehouse or any place with a lot of vibration I use stranded and lugs for terminations. Have had to repair too many broken solid wires in LBs and simular fittings with in areas of vibration and cold storage.

[This message has been edited by nesparky (edited 03-23-2003).]

ed
#23524 03/22/03 03:44 PM
R
Bob,
The UL white book says that all of the terminals on receptacles are suitable for use with solid or stranded wire. How is the MA amendment applied?
From UL guide RTRT.
Terminals of the wire-binding screw, setscrew, or screw-actuated back wired clamping types are suitable for use with both solid and stranded building wires.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#23525 03/22/03 04:42 PM
I
Don,

That is interesting as we have always been told that if we wrap stranded around a screw it is wrong.

I wonder why they would bother with the change if all devices are identified for such use.

Now I will be on a mission when I see my next MA inspector to ask him this.

It will not make a difference for us as we use the other type of devices, but now I want to know the real answer.

Bob

Edit, I will go back a few years and see if "identified for such use" was added.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 03-22-2003).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#23526 03/23/03 01:07 AM
F
We use all stranded at our shop, except to wrap the ground screws in the boxes. Stranded is easier to pull, easier to feed, and the wire doesn't get nicked going in the pipe like solid sometimes does. The price difference isn't too much and the labor savings makes up the difference anyways.

Although, there have been a few times when I wished I had solid wire when I was pushing shorter runs box to box. I just went to the truck, got out the fishtape, and tied them on. Would be nice to have the best of both worlds though.

#23527 03/23/03 01:23 PM
F
To make terminating stranded wire on binding screw terminals easier, strip the end and re-twist the strands counter-clockwise(backwards). When you bend it in a hook around the screw and tighten the screw it draws the left handed twist tighter and you don't have stray strands spreading out.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard