ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#23446 03/19/03 07:10 AM
M
I have a customer who asked me to check switches that made an arcing sound when she turned them on. When I got there I got there I noticed that she had flourescent bulbs instead of the incadencent that these switches operated. I told her that the flouresent bulbs had a starter on them and recommeded we test the switch with regular bulbs. The sound went away. I do not think she needs to worry about the sound. It only makes the sound when you operate the switch slowly as she does. Any one have any thoughts!

Mark

S
are we saying the starter draw was the cause of a switch arc here?

F
there is the other way the reason to hear the noise is the snap switch or have loose connection somewhere if that switch is old snap type it can crakle some if new one then have momtery surge run thru the switch and most morden switch are fast and quiet

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Minangelo,
Its not actually the starter that causes this switching arc, it's the ballast, the coil of wire that limits the current to the tube(s).
When a magnetic field is de-energised, the back EMF, causes a surge across the switch contacts.
What I would recommend you do is upgrade the switch to a higher current rating, what ampacity is in there at the moment?. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard