ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#2339 07/04/01 08:09 PM
G
This summer I've had the opportunity to work with my 16 year old son as my apprentice. I know you independents may take using family members as your extra labor for granted, but this is really special for me.

I was surprised this spring when my son asked about a summer job. We have done charity projects together in the past and he always complained about having to work too hard.

My boss is big on family and was kind enough to offer him a summer job with decent pay and he has really come through as a good worker. While I doubt that he will follow in my footsteps, (that's fine by me), I think that he now has an appreciation for what I do.

The best part is that we have had hundreds of hours together that just couldn't have happened any other way. If you ever get the opportunity to make this happen, JUST DO IT, it might be an experience that you both will treasure for a long time.

GJ

R
I can appreciate what you mean. When I first started a side business around 1990, my father would regularly help out. After a few years, I abandoned my dreams of self-employment in favor of the stability of my day job. Since then, my father and I have somewhat grown apart, personality-wise, but I will always look back fondly on those (too few) hours working together.
Thanks for the reminder!

S
that's great...
My son who is 10 has come with me on a number of service calls, he is more interested in the cobweb collection i wear as a hat at this point, and monetary renumeration is easily a candy bar, but you never know....

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard