ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 382 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#23374 03/16/03 04:55 PM
R
This happened a few years ago in Louisville, KY.
My company had the contract for a building at the University of Louisville. Min conduit size was ¾”. Slab roughed on Friday, top layer of re-bar too high. Engineer said remove ¾” and change to ½” in slabs. He said we’ll work out the change order later. We removed the ¾” and installed ½” on a Saturday to ready for pour on Monday.
Several months later I was in the engineer’s office to finalize several items and changes. When I brought up the conduit change he said “You got anything in writing?” and refused to OK the change.
A couple of years later, we had another project where the same engineer was involved. This was a retrofit of central HVAC units to several connected buildings. The specs had each of the 8 buildings as alternates. All service originated in building 1, rose to the roof, and was distributed from there. The plans for the alternates clearly stated “…all work on these plans for building (X) shall be alternate (X). Building 3, 4, and 5, were not accepted but 1, 2, 6, 7, and 8 were accepted. We ran the feeders for buildings 6, 7, and 8 to the edge of building 2 and terminated. We went to building 6 and completed the feeders for 6, 7, and 8. The big gap of buildings 3, 4, and 5 had no feeders. (Feeders were 500MCM in GRS).
In a meeting the engineer admitted his goof and said go ahead, I’ll issue a change order. Not to be burned twice, I declined and said I would put together a price and wait for a change order.
To shorten this a bit, I got triple what I would normally have received and later I told the jerk, “Remember the U of L project? Well, I just got my money back 10 times over.”
Rowdy

#23375 03/16/03 10:49 PM
S
Good Job, Rowdy, every dog has his day.

#23376 03/16/03 11:25 PM
G
Chalk one up for the good guys! Attaboy Rudy!

#23377 03/17/03 09:33 PM
H
I had that feeling several times. When I was a contractor several GC's stuck me for money. Now you should see their face when I walk on the job as the AHJ. Their first reactions is "What are you doing here." When I tell them that I am the inspector, their jaw hits the floor. Then they usually stammer and ask something like, "Do you miss being in your own business? Or do you like it better?" Then I usually reply, "YES I DO. I don't have to worry about working for people who stick me for money." That usually ends the conversation. [Linked Image] Also when I do their plan review, I usually take my time. I am allowed 20 business days for plan review. Sometimes it takes me 19 days to plan review their prints.

Link Copied to Clipboard