ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Hey everyone,

Just found a couple pictures of my Drum Kit, so thought I would post them here.

[Linked Image]
Image #1: An overview of the kit.

It's in our Computer Room, tucked away in the Southwest corner.
Audio equipment is shown at the front-right. Audio + Video equipment is mounted on a "LAN Rack" (vertical adjustable racking assembly).

Directly behind the kit is:
<OL TYPE=A>

[*]MIDI Keyboard (hardly visible),

[*]Practice / Headphone Amp (under the keyboard),

[*]Monitor Loudspeakers (totally unviewable!),

[*]The Subpanels for this room (two square D NQOD type),

[*]5 KVA Isolation Transformer (below larger Subpanel).
</OL>

[Linked Image]
Image #2: Close-Up of the kit.

As configured here, setup as 9 Piece kit, instead of all 13 Pieces (not enough room for that!).
Ride Toms sizes: 10", 12", 13", 14" and 15".
One 18" Floor Tom.
Double Kick: Two 20" Bass Drums.
14" x 8" Snare Drum.
Remaining unused Drums; 6", 8" and 16" Ride Toms, 16" Floor Tom.

Cymbals:
14" Zildjian Platinum Hi-Hats on a Pearl Stand,
Two 16" Crash Cymbals (thin and normal),
One 16" Splash,
One 18" Meinl thin crash,
One 16" China type (located above the ride cymbal),
One 20" Ride (Zildjian normal).

Hardware: Pearl

Anyone else have pictures of your instrument(s) to post here + discuss???

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
N
Scott,
That looks eerily like mine! [Linked Image] All the way down to the color and 70’s style open bottom toms. (BTW how do you like the sound of those toms? I have found they don’t quite sound right for today’s styles but sound great when playing old 60’s & 70’s rock.)

I have almost the same set up except 24” base drums and it’s a hybrid cross of Ludwig and Slingerland drums. I to don’t have the room for everything and had it set up in a single base configuration for quite a while. I would send a pic but I pact it away a couple weeks ago due to some serious spring cleaning. I may be inspired to set it up and annoy the neighbors again soon. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Nick,

Is your Kit made by ROC? Mine are ROC.

Same color? Cool!!! I love this color!

As to the Concert Toms sound, when I first got the set (back in 1988-89...???) the toms sounded like ,,, errr... Poo Poo.

Went to a bunch of Libraries, checked out "Drum Tech Data" books and learned about the bearing edge principle.

So just prior to newyears 1990, created a Router Jig for use to re-cut the bearing edges and set them to a clean 45º drop and a solid 1/16" Bearing edge all around.

Replaced the stock "Tension Ball" hardware with the Standard Pearl stuff seen in the images.

Replaced all heads with Pinstripes (later much more Hydraulic heads like the Aquarian front Bass head on the left kick drum).

Man, they sounded DELUXE!!! Got many compliments on their sound!!!

The heads are extensively muffled down, otherwise they would blow the doors off!

Scott35

p.s. pull that dang kit out of storage and set that bad-boy up!!!

Ever taken your kit out to a dry lake and played?

Did this a few times, along with playing in the Canyons near me (Silverado and Santiago).
Definitely a new experience in sound!

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
[Linked Image from users.stargate.net]

Above: Custom Carvin 6-string fretless bass. Lines are fret markers and are flush with the neck (to .001"). About $1200 in 1999.

My rig is Carvin top to bottom. The strings are Carvin flat-wound medium-lights, the Bass itself, of course, the Amplifier is a Carvin 300W and the speaker is a Carvin 15" 400W. The only things not Carvin are the cords, the cabinet, and the tuner.

[Linked Image from users.stargate.net]

Above: Yamaha FG612-S 12-string Acoustic, the first guitar I purchased (not the first I owned though). Bought new in 1982 for $350.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 03-17-2003).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
R
This is what I hope to buy after my renovation is complete:

[Linked Image from ludwig-drums.com]

I've now got a Gibson (Epiphone) SG 6string and a small Marshall amp.(Amp suggested by Virgil) Still enough to disturb the neighbors. Also, a Yamaha keyboard.
This after about a 20 yr period of having none at all.
My first guitar was a Sears "Silvertone" that I bought for $27 with money saved from my paper route in '63. Then a Strat, then a Les Paul, followed by a 1st wife. In retrospect the only things worth keeping were the Strat and the Les Paul. [Linked Image]...S

Guys,
I have just purchased an Aria 5-string to go with my Aria IGB-30 4-string, sounds great, but the low B string could be better,
I'm looking to upgrade my amp in the near future, anyone got any suggestions?.
I've got this no-name amp at the moment and it can't seem to cope with the lower frequencies of my 5-string.

C
Scott,

Your set kind of puts my Mapex 5-piece to shame. It looks like you have real heavy-metal set up going there, with the all the cymbals and rack toms.

Do I see a working space violation in front of those panels? [Linked Image] How does that saying go...The mechanic's car, the electrician's house.... [Linked Image]

Peter

Peter
M
Virgil: Is that your "Fat Headed Monster" logo on your Yamaha? My monitor resolution isn't so great...

Mike (mamills)

Z
American built Ovatations (12 and 6 string acoustic/electric), BC Rich Mockingbird (hand built American neck-thru, vintage 1982, not that crap built later...) Carvin full stack, Tascam 688 Midistudio, Roland R-5 Drum machine (sorry guys), and effects out the ying yang...and always looking for more stuff!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard