ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#23182 03/12/03 10:45 PM
S
smurf Offline OP
I have a customer that I think is trying to retire me by buying Chinese Equipment that has no prints or electrical scehmatics whatsoever. These are huge paper splitters. This last one isn't three weeks old and started acting up two days into running. If you never seen how our "Friends" over there make things, you're in for a treat. As cheap as possible. I have ordered a size four and size five starter to replace these flimsey things. Sorry to vent on ya'll, but I had to somewhere, my wife is tired of it. She told me to tell'm to stick it, but I reminded her of the green stuff she likes to spend. It's just pathetic when he thinks he gets a good deal, then complains to me because of how much I'm costing him. I told him it wasn't me that was costing him, he was the one buying the junk. I'll get off my stump now. Have a good one.

#23183 03/13/03 01:59 AM
Smurf,
What sort of equipment are you talking about?, a paper splitter?.
I've seen heaps of this Chinese rubbish over here in NZ, the quality of this stuff varies from shonky to downright illegal, you name it:
Light Fittings, Socket-Outlets, Transformers,
etc, they all use the cheapest method of construction.
New Zealand is a dumping ground, for all this s**t.
If it does not comply with our Regs, over here, I simply refuse to install it, tough!,
should have purchased something of decent quality, this has resulted in I don't know how many run-in's, with my Boss, who cares, I am signing off the job!. [Linked Image]

#23184 03/13/03 02:49 AM
J
A tightwad cardboard printer down here went through this same phase years ago. He bought a bunch of used printing equipment at what he said was a steal. It had (U.S.) Motors all over it. So he thought it was very compatable here. Voltages all over the place. Starters not sized right. And not to mention the non OEM modifications that had been attempted on it. The guy that trained me years back worked over there every evening six months to get them going. I'd go by and take him supper just to get to watch him work. Needless to say the printer didn't save any money. Served him right for trying to squeeze a buck too hard.

[This message has been edited by joeh20 (edited 03-13-2003).]

Lighting the way
#23185 03/13/03 06:07 AM
P
We're seeing more Chinese-made electrical fittings in Britain as well. Some of them are just outright junk. [Linked Image]

I've yet to find even simple screwdrivers or pliers made in China that aren't poorly aligned, not hardened, or that don't fall apart as soon as you use them on anything stronger than hot butter! Either they can't make quality tools and equipment, or they only export the cheap trash.

#23186 03/13/03 08:15 AM
G
pauluk, you hit the nail on the head! we only see their "export quality" stuff, and the standard, over there, is "make it as cheaply as we can, so that, even after paying the tariffs, we can still show a 200+% profit." actually, they really do have some very high quality products in china, but the outside world never see's it. they are a world leader in the uses of aluminum alloys, but the stuff we see is made from "clay-infused pot metal", and, recycled woks, (with the food still baked on).

gramps

#23187 03/13/03 08:39 AM
B
Hello All,

I guess it's time for me to jump on the box for awhile. Question; Whose buying all this Chinese crap? Why are we buying all this Chinese crap? The biggest retailer in the US is Wal-Mart and do you think they give a rats a$$ where the stuff is made?

We are the only ones that can stop the infiltration of this junk from over-seas. It grinds me when people complain about the loss of American jobs and then go to Wally World and buy Chinese crap so they can save a buck. Don't these people realize that they are the problem? I guess it's human nature to place the blame on someone or something else. I'll get off now. JMO Adam

#23188 03/13/03 08:50 AM
C
C-H Offline

we only see their "export quality" stuff, and the standard, over there, is "make it as cheaply as we can, so that, even after paying the tariffs, we can still show a 200+% profit." actually, they really do have some very high quality products in china, but the outside world never see's it.

Echo that. I managed to trace the ultra-cheap no-name breakers sold here to the Chinese manufacturer. Their hompage reveal that they have two lines of breakers: One with quality breakers, and one with breakers that the manufacturer claims to be substandard. Guess which breakers are sold here? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 03-13-2003).]

#23189 03/13/03 08:54 AM
S
smurf Offline OP
When I said paper splitter, I should have clarified. These machines are capable of holding a roll of Kraft paper about 8 ft. in diam and 6-8ft. long. They have a motor up front that pulls the paper and rewinds it as the cutters on top cut the one big roll into however as many rolls they need. I guess the worst thing is I can't shut it off when I get home. I'll have it on my mind for a long time. The contol panel is 6ft. tall and 5ft wide, full of red wire. I had to get a x-transformer with 480v. delta to 380Y/220v sec., 112kva. The controls are all 220v. This just one. They have three.

#23190 03/13/03 10:09 AM
C
Smurf

Don't know where your from but up here in Canada (Ontario for sure) all equipment must have a CSA or equivalent approval before it can be used. That's everything from an light bulb to a Paper cutting machine such as you talking about.

Maybe your local inspection authority (electrical) or Department of Labour might be interested in (Anonymously) knowing that there is some equipment in your facility that is not approved. (I'm assuming it's not approved)

I'm from Ontario and actually had to completely rewire a few machines that came in from places such as your speaking about.
I'll tell you the customer/owner thought twice for the next one he purchased.

He got nailed both sides, Safety and Electrical compliance.

#23191 03/13/03 10:37 AM
S
smurf Offline OP
No such requirements here. It looks like I'll end up practically rewiring this one. One machine has had no problems, but this one has had all interlocks changed, two timers and one 8-pin plug-in relay in the first 8 hours of use. It has a 75 hp. motor that starts in Y connection then in 10 seconds switches to Delta. Here is where the rub is. If the delta relay is slow the the seal in relay drops out and delta tries to come in and the cycle starts. The Y relay already has lost its coil. JUNK!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard