ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#22874 03/06/03 03:15 PM
R
Just rcvd from a source in TN.

An investigation has led to the arrest of the chief electrical inspector for the city. Among the charges: extortion and theft. He was also arrested by the county on charges of extortion, theft, official misconduct and official oppression.
Sadly, not an uncommon occurrence.
Rowdy

#22875 03/06/03 04:12 PM
E
I'll get the tar if you bring the feathers. Let's hope he gets more than a slap on the wrist. This can not be tolerated.

#22876 03/07/03 01:30 AM
Rowdy,
If there was ever a corruption/wrong-doing amnesty for the world's Officials, the results, would probably floor the average worker. [Linked Image]
You don't know what is really going on until these people are found out!.
And one other thing, the Situations Vacant columns of all the papers, around the world would be so big, you couldn't carry it from your letter-box to your house.

#22877 03/07/03 09:48 AM
R
Trumpy: You have hit the nail on the head. I am involved with the legal community regarding codes, interpretations, safety, corruption, etc. What is maddening is 99% of the items are settled by negotiation with a non-disclosure agreement. There are really no winners in this type of settlement other than the wrongdoers. City and county officials don't want their dirty laundry exposed as it may lead to other charges. Many times the defense has tried to place blame on those who bill themselves as "code experts". Arbitrators and judges have consistantly ruled that the EC is the expert when the safety of an electrical installation is questioned. The NFPA is not liable, the ahj is not liable, and the "code expert" is not liable.
Rowdy

#22878 03/07/03 10:56 AM
J
I belive this was a city building and codes inspector.( county next to me) Not an electrical inspector. In the city and county in question the state contracts a qualified individual to handle all electrical inspections. And the electrical inspector for this particular city and county is a fine individual of the highest professional and ethical standards.

The building inspectors for this county and city have typically been a commissioners cousin, or the mayors brother in law. And usally are corrupt.

They've got a new city administrator starting in two weeks from "Truth-or-Consequences" New Mexico, I'm not kidding, he's living there now fixing to move to TN to start the job.
Maybe he can keep these locals in line. Poor guy, what a way to start your new job.

Lighting the way
#22879 03/07/03 02:56 PM
R
joeh20:
I believe that you are speaking about the building inspector of Winchester?
The TBI investigation is state wide and several fire, elec, mech, and bldg inspectors have been investigated and several either forced to resign or fired. I have been told that only two have been convicted. BTW, the investigation is over 5 years old now.
Rowdy

#22880 03/07/03 03:40 PM
J
Yes that was Winchester/Franklin County TN.
I hadn't heard anything about it until this morning when I read on here. I came home and there was a big write up in the Tullahoma paper about it all. Tullahoma is part in Franklin county and part in Coffee county. I have three electrical inspectors to work with for each end of town.
I didn't know the TBI was into all this right now. I work 40 hours for the water utility and 30 or so more for myself every week, maybe I need to watch the news some day.

About half my work comes from Franklin county, but I just do electrical. So I don't have occasion to intermingle with the building codes people very much. Our electrical inspector for DREMC and Winchester power has been on the job for years, took it over from his father I believe, and he's way above all this IMO.

Lighting the way
#22881 03/08/03 11:18 PM
Rowdy,
Did you know the true definition of an "Expert"?.
Well, X is an unknown quantity.
And a spurt, is a drip under pressure.
Had to get that one in. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 03-08-2003).]

#22882 03/08/03 11:51 PM
T
Heres the story from the Tullahoma newspaper.

Donnie

Link Copied to Clipboard