ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
Hi Folks:

I have a 5kVA generator that will power my heat, fridge, microwave, and a few lights. I need to install a 10 circuit transfer switch. If I remember correctly, only one of the circuits is 2-pole 240V (downstairs gas pack), the rest on single pole 110V. I'd like to have amp meters on the switch since the generator doesn't have them.

There's several 10 circuit transfer switches w/ amp meters at or under the $200 range.

1) Which ones would you recommend?
2) Which ones would you definitely avoid?

Any help appreciated!
Dave

Davesisk:
Welcome to ECN!
I would strongly suggest that you locate a local, licensed electrical contractor to perform the work you are contemplating.

I'm not being a "wise guy" or trying to drum up business for anyone. Installing a genset & transfer switch can be dangerous to you, your property, and the utility workers, if it is not installed properly, and to the NEC.
John

John
D
Thanks for friendly welcome and the response. I intend to get a licensed electrician to install the transfer switch. However, I'd like to choose the best one for my needs, and purchase it myself ahead of time.

Thx,
Dave

N
Dave
That discussion should be part of the things you do when you select your electrician.
Personally I will not warrent material and parts purchased by others- even if I would have purchased the exact same thing for that job.
Legal and warrenty issues can be severe headaches despite the best of intentions.
Installing a generator, transfer switch, and all the associated equipment is a job for experienced, licensed, and careful people only. There are too many ways to cause trouble, damage and/or injuies eveh death with one of these setups.
When done correctly you can have years of service from this kind of equipment.
Please talk to your chosen electrician before you buy. He/she may be able to save you money and time.

ed
L
Hotline1 and nesparky have the idea.
Get a lic Electrician to do the work.
If want advice on the transfer switch?
Get one from the manufacturer of the Genset.
I have found you have fewer headaches if you make one call for service.
Of course I deal with Commercial Gensets not residential.

B
Minor aside, Dave... To me, "gas pack" is heating and cooling. It may be obvious, but don't expect a 5kVA genset to be able to start most any size of air-conditioning compressor.

E
I have used the Gen Tran with no problem at all. They will have something that will fit your needs.

Link Copied to Clipboard