ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 298 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#22750 02/27/03 10:11 PM
C
chuck Offline OP
above ground pools that are considered permantly installed due to water depth per 680. They are required to be bonded if I am correct. If so how do u accomplish 6this, since tere are no bonding lugs on these pools and many of the parts are simply snapped together. If u attach bonding lugs, how do u accomplish this when sheet metal screw are not allowed for bonding and grounding connections.....Thanx

#22751 02/27/03 10:21 PM
W
Welcome Chuck,

Could you please be more specific as to what needs to be grounded?

If you are refering to the actual structure of the pool, there is no such requirement that I can find in the 2002 NEC.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
#22752 02/27/03 10:27 PM
W
OH, I think I just found it!
680.26(B)(1)

The only time I have thought of this part of the code is for the hand rails and such of an in-ground pool! I'm not so sure it applies to a above ground pool.

Ummmm........maybe some ahj reads it differently?

Dave

Dave
#22753 02/27/03 10:35 PM
E
I suppose it all depends on if there is anything electrical going into the pool. It sounds like you are dealing with metal sections that are enamel coated, with interlocking sections. Sounds like you would have to separately bond each section to the common bond wire. But, I think there might be a way out.

680.26(B)4 talks about circulating pumps that are double insulated...not requiring to be bonded. If the non-bond circulating pump is the only electrical thing in the pool, then why bother bonding anything else? Remember, the need for bonding is to eliminate voltage gradients, per 680.26(A). There can't BE voltage gradients if there is no voltage at all.

Have you checked with the AHJ?

#22754 02/27/03 10:50 PM
H
Hi Chuck,

Welcome to the board. Are you talking about the new styles of above ground pools that are plastic or PVC clad? Some of these new pools might not need to be bonded if there is no metal. There are some new PVC inground pools too. The only thing that can be bonded on them is the metal coping that holds the liner into the pool. Is this what you mean?

#22755 02/27/03 10:54 PM
Voltage Gradients can exist because of other Electrical systems in the area too. If you look in 680.26(B)(1) and (3) it specifies that all Metallic Structural Components and parts over a certain dimension shall be bonded together, it says nothing about Electrical items that must exist. So, if the Pool frame is metal, it must be Bonded.

There is an Article somewhere about a Community Pool where people were getting shocks. The source turned out to be an Electrical fault some Blocks away if memory serves me. The problem was with the construction of the pool and the fact that they used coated Rebar. The reasoning was that it would hold up better underground, but because it was coated it did not provide an adequate Bonding Grid. If I can find the Article I will post it here.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 02-27-2003).]

Bill
#22756 02/27/03 11:04 PM
C
chuck Offline OP
Well guys I am the ahj.680 states that a pool that will hold more than 42 inches of water is a permanent poola nd must e bonded accordinly. Also the pump requirements are different for a permanent pool. most all above ground pools have both metal and vinyl or painted parts. DO u differntiat from storable and premanent by water depth.some have wlls that are painted metal. some are vinyl coated. question remains ...do u call all above ground pools storable and wire accordinly or do u differentiate.

#22757 03/03/03 08:09 PM
M
In my area we bond all the way around the outside of an above ground pool. Most of the above ground pools I've seen have a metal rail that is secured around the top. We use copper lugs attached at the base of the pool where a bracket secures the metal uprights. Usually every other upright gets a lug. The screws are usually stainless. If no screw is available I always keep my 10-32 tap handy and some stainless machine screws. The wire is also bonded to the pump motor, outlet box serving the pump motor and anything metal within 5' from the inside wall of the pool. Including fences, metal siding, gutters and downspouts. Usually blow out 100 feet of solid 8 awg and 8 - 10 lugs for every pool I do. No ground rod, of course.
Blessings!

#22758 03/03/03 10:06 PM
E
That last post saved me alot of typing!

#22759 03/04/03 09:29 PM
H
Chuck,

To me a storable pool is any pool that gets filled up and empty every year. If the pool stays up year after year, I would not consider it "storable". As for bonding, if all of the uprights are plastic or PVC, and the handrails, ladders, etc. is plastic. Then nothing has to be bonded. If there is any metal on the pool, or within 5' of this pool, then it must be bonded together with the pool motor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard