ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#22705 02/27/03 02:46 PM
J
jbfan Offline OP
OK. I am running out of ideas and looking for help. We installed a 300kva genset to back up our 300kva, 240 kw ups. After 2 test, still unable to get the ups and genset to work together. UPS tech. in private has stated that the genset is undersized for this app. Our load on the UPS is about 40 kw, due to decrease in size of servers over the years. Where can I find info to back up UPS tech. claim or disprove it. Any help would be great. email me here
keith.white@ncr.com
thanks

"Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years to late" Jimmy Buffett
#22706 02/27/03 08:11 PM
N
Jbfan,
The tech is probably right. If the UPS does not have an input filter that is interlocked with the ATS then it is very possible your problem is an undersized generator. What happens is the UPS throws lots of harmonic current back on the system and this causes havoc with the generators regulator. The fix in the past has been to double the size of the generator to compensate. The newer large UPS’ have an input filter that allows you to size the generator closer to the load. I don’t have any back up literature handy but if I find it I’ll post back.
Nick

#22707 02/27/03 08:51 PM
J
jbfan Offline OP
Thanks NIck. What the generator people are telling us is the genset only see the UPS as the load and not what the UPS sees as a load. Therefore it is mainly a capatiance load only, which drives the voltage higher. What they have come up with is to remove the filter caps, and hope the genset will not overpower the UPS. We shall see in a couple of weeks when we retest. Also, I found something, that supported the tech's statement. We have a confrence call tomorrow , and we will see what the engineers that recommended this genset have to say about it. Thanks for the input.

#22708 02/27/03 08:57 PM
J
jbfan Offline OP
Also. the UPS is about 12 years old

#22709 02/27/03 10:17 PM
B
Oh Boy! Another {electrical} pissing contest!!

The problem has bee around for at least 20 years, but everyone hasn’t had to deal with it at the same time. The simplified problem is that the genset exciter wants to see a nice clean sinusoidal load, and the UPS wants to see an very stiff source, and so they end up fighting each other. It just continues as finger pointing until someone caves, and the end user {and/or electrical contractor, depending on contract verbiage} often get the very short end of the stick.

A delta-wye drive-isolation transformer or 3ø reactor between the two may help—like those used on AF drives, but don’t bet on it. The UPS and genset vendor susually insit that it’s not their problel, and it never happened before, but they LIE! Ususally the CSI-type specidfications don’t handle this very well, and reapozilbiblues need to be worked out before the problem occurs.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

#22710 03/13/03 11:21 PM
J
jbfan Offline OP
Here is an update. We are going to retest again Sat. night. We will disconnect our load and the generator people are bringing in a load bank which will be used to adjust everything. The UPS people are going to remove the ac line filters. We asked point blank if the genset was to small, and they assured us it would work. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the replies so far.

#22711 03/14/03 11:55 AM
J
Are you going to attach the load bank to the UPS or the genset. I think it should be attached to the UPS. Let us know what happens. Load banks we use on our genset are pure resitive heat. I don't know if that will throw your test off as real loads are computers etc and throw harmonics onto the lines that could be having some effects.

[This message has been edited by jdevlin (edited 03-14-2003).]

#22712 03/14/03 01:29 PM
B
Thanks for the update, jbfan. It’s not clear who is saying that the genset size is adequate. That is a critical bit of information that, if it hasn’t already, needs to be put in writing. The verbal finger pointing will continue until someone’s feet are held to the fire. It sounds like the genset is new, versus a decade-old+ UPS. It also sounds like the genset voltage regulator doesn’t know what to do with a nonlinear/nonsinusoidal load. Permanent-magnet excitation helps a little, but a 300kVA genset can have trouble with even a purely resistive load near its nameplate rating. I’m not up on the latest genset capabilities, but it may be difficult for some gensets to simply handle a resistive {1.0PF} 100-to-200kW-load step change. That can be a hard thing for a genset {and its AVR} to negotiate—much less if the load is nonsinusoidal.

For your testing session you might want to look at phase voltages and currents with something like a Fluke 41 or Tektronix 700-series, to get a clearer idea of how the two major components are interacting.

Ideally, for AC circuits, distorted voltage points to the source, and distorted current points to the load. In this case, though, it’s more complicated, for the source does not present a very low impedance to the connected load, and UPSs are {in the fine print} promised to work acceptably with a low-impedance source, like a nice utility-owned 5%Z padmount transformer. Aside from that simple low-impedance source, decent voltage regulation and the ability for downstream overcurrent devices to operate reliably may be seriously limited.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 03-14-2003).]

#22713 03/14/03 01:44 PM
J
jbfan Offline OP
jdevlin Thanks for your question. The load bank will be attached to the output of the UPS. After the adjustments have been made, our computor loads will be reattached and the load bank will be removed for another test. Hope this one works, because I am tired of working all these sat nights

#22714 03/14/03 05:08 PM
J
I am by no means a power expert. I do know that we do a load test on our 3 gensets once a year. The largest one is 1.025 Mw. I think the main reason is load up the deisel and make sure it is operating properly.

Other than my once a month 10 minute test, I call in in the generator service company if there is any problem. WE just spent 3 day in 0 degree F pumping cleaning and refilling the fuel tank that had been filled with contaminated fuel somewhere onlong the line.

Good luck with your test.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard