ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#22394 02/22/03 08:19 AM
T
In New York State we are still using the 1999 code. The state has not adopted the 2002 code yet.

Question is? If I apply a new code change to a project, am I in violation...

Example: the 2002 code allows for romex in buildings of more than 3 stories, 1999 does not.

If I wire an apartment on the 4th. floor in romex am I creating a code violation.

B
You have to comply with the version currently adopted by the AHJ.

Bob

Don't feel antiquated.
California just adopted the 1999 Code last Nov 1.
Before that, we were on the '96

TS,

The SCECA association lawyer has been looking into this and I believe that the determination was that we should be following the code adopted by the State (1999 NEC).

Interestingly, the town of Huntington tried to adopt the 2002 NEC by putting language into their by-laws (or whatever they are called) stating that they will adopt whatever the newest code was. A locality can have different rules than the state does, but that takes a more extensive legal process to establish than they were aware of, and they withdrew their proposal after being confronted by a SCECA representative and its Lawyer.

We are all a bit confused here at the moment I think as most people (99.9%) were not aware that we were officially on the 1993 code until July of 2002. The last I heard was that the Inspection authorities were still divided on which code they would be inspecting to.

The Lawyer I am referring to (Rob) is a Member and sometime visitor here, maybe I can get ahold of him to explain things better/or more correctly.

Bill

Bill
T
Bill,
I am doing a job in Long Beach. When I got my license the City told me that I can not use BX in any house or building. They said I must use Romex due the the corossive nature of the salt water. So I started doing a renovation in a 9 story apartment building. The apartment is 15years old and is wired completly in romex. My reno is also wired in romex. I filed for rough inspection with the local inspection agency and they told me I was in violation because any building over 3 stories must be wired in BX or MC on the stories above the 3rd floor. The City of Long Beach says they will pass this wiring method, Electrical Inspectors says they won't. The inspector called the state to see if they could give a verbal OK on wiring this way. Remember most of Long Beach and this building in particular is all in Romex.

The state said I must attend a hearing in the court house in Hauppague. 5 month wait... The owner of the condo is not a happy man.

The crazy part of this is that the 2002 code allows this practice. The City allows it but the State of NY does not.

H
Here in NJ if a new code is adopted, you are allowed a 6 month grace period, if the project wasn't started. If a project was already started, then the project follows the NEC that was in use when the permit was issued. If your project was started under the old code, then you should follow the old code. If you want to update some of the building to the new code, then you should check with the AHJ. I feel that if the newer code is still just a s safe or safer than the old code, then the AHJ might allow the new upgrade. Either way, you should check with the AHJ to make sure.

TS,

It sounds like a situation that anyone could easily get into. If you can make it to a SCECA meeting it may be worth your time to come and bring up this specific question.

Bill

Bill
E
I am doing a job now, which is a renovation for a large national retailer that has specs that say you must do the work according to the latest version of the NEC.

Now the state of Virginia is still going off the '96 NEC, and so is the local AHJ. (Don’t know what the state of Illinois goes by, since this is where the company is based.)

How does an Inspector deal with a large companies standards, especially when they are in contradiction with each other, and what does the poor electrician do?

Sorry to add a question to a question, but I am having trouble figuring this out.

Pete
T
I'm having trouble figuring it out too...

Your not alone..

I
Elec_VA,
That is standard contract language but the Customer can not tell you what code to use, any more then they can tell you not to follow a code.

In my state we use the Massachusetts Electrical Code (amended NEC) Even though the specs may say follow the NEC, I still have to follow the MEC if I want to pass inspection.

Now only if tsolanto's problem was so easy. [Linked Image]

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 02-23-2003).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard