ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I
Hello All!

Hope everybody in the mid/north east got dug out o.k.

I am going to add an outlet to an existing circuit in my garage. To get the run down the wall, I would like to use 1/2" electrical type PVC and same type of box. I am using a GFCI recpt. on #12/2 NM. I've read some posts on NM in conduit in outside situations, but haven't found any info for interior stuff. Anybody know of anything in the NEC on this?

Thanks much for your info!

Ian

D
334.15(B) - "The cable (NM) shall be protected from physical damage where necessary by conduit..." this section does not differentiate indoors/outdoors.

RE: 1/2" conduit
See Cahp. 9 Tables - Notes to Tables - #9
"A multiconductor cable ....shall be treated as a single conductor for calculating percentage fill area...."

I've never done the arithmetic but if I remember correctly from a previous post NM would require 3/4" conduit to be in compliance.

E
I've always added a set of fittings at the end of the conduit so that a 2-screw romex connector could clamp the cable where it enters the conduit. I strip away the cable sheath (for the part of the cable that is going to be in the conduit) up to where the fittings are, so that only the conductors are in the conduit, avoiding problems about conduit fill. This is equivalent to entering a box. I just consider the conduit as a long skinny extension of the box. I never heard of anyone challenging this set-up. I certainly don't see any hazard in doing it this way.

[This message has been edited by Elzappr (edited 02-18-2003).]

I
dana1028 and Elzappr;

Thanks for the info! I appreciate your help!

Ian

Link Copied to Clipboard