ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2204 06/27/01 08:11 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
On a RX job, do you go straight into a box, or leave a service loop outside of it??

[Linked Image]

R
Sparky,

Are you referring to some slack cable (service loop)outside the box?

A
New construction I`v always came straight in, but old work i may leave a loop.

F
I always pulled the romex so I had 12" sticking out of the device box, stapled it 6" from where it entered the box, then pulled back a "bubble" leaving 6" extending free from the front of the box. Just in case the drywallers hooked a wire and chewed it up.

S
sparky Offline OP
Redsy;
yes, for the same reason Fred mentions, as well as the possible movement of boxes due to 11th hour redesigns.

[Linked Image]

And --- you can be sure the next guy 30 years from now will say nice things about you for the extra slack, especially after the previous 6 owners clipped the wires shorter than 6 inches!

I always left slack in the space above the ceiling.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 07-28-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
R
Is there any code reference on this? I don't think so, but, someone I know insists there is. He can't find it though.

S
sparky Offline OP
Redsy,
there is for every wiring method, 336-18 asks to secure 12" before box entry, so we just move the staple closer to the box and take advantage of this.
Of interest, kinda goes with Joe's response would be 336-12 EX #2, which is actually asking for a 'loop' .

[Linked Image]

OK, I thought I had read somewhere that it said something like "...12 inches as measured along the length of the cable..." but I'll be dipped if I can find it. (I have been looking...)

Perhaps it was in the ROP's?

This little difference would render the extra cable as a violation, no matter how close the staple was...

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
R
Originally posted by sparky:I know the exception you are referring to, however, I believe this pertains to a special type of device that requires no box. I saw a picture of them once. You leave a loop of rx sticking out of the wall and use a special tool to install the switch or receptacle onto the cable. I think I saw it in a code handbook sometime, but never in the flesh.
Redsy,
there is for every wiring method, 336-18 asks to secure 12" before box entry, so we just move the staple closer to the box and take advantage of this.
Of interest, kinda goes with Joe's response would be 336-12 EX #2, which is actually asking for a 'loop' .

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard