ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#22022 02/20/03 01:18 AM
jes,
What I forgot to say, was that these things, over here in NZ, no matter what size, are invariably fed via some sort of Earth-Leakage protection, normally 30mA for ordinary personal protection, 10mA for Hospitals and other Medical areas.
These types of heaters are becoming more common for use,over here as shower water heaters instead of using the traditional Hot water Cylinder, I hate the damned things,
they are such a nuisance to wire. [Linked Image]

#22023 02/20/03 07:15 AM
Z
Hey guys, i just wired one of those tankless heaters 2 weeks a go in a new home! A 125 amp sub feed ! This heater came with its own panelboard and breakers. 4 30A breakers,and each circuit i think was about 22A. Sorry i do not recall the brand.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
#22024 02/20/03 10:07 AM
S
One of the Architects I work with like EEMAX and so we have them installed in several locations. I have not been informed of any problems yet. Some other brands of instantaneous water heaters I have heard complaints about, but they have been "the water is cold still".

You have peaked my interest and I will watch them a bit closer.

Shane

#22025 02/20/03 11:28 AM
S
The "flash heaters" that Grizzy The OSHA Per-fesser has described are also big in parts Peru, that tend to be cold but people don't want to spring for a real boiler.

In Colombia, if you want hot water you buy a real hot water heater (tall tank or a short large kettle connected to electricty -- usually 220 volts hot-hot) just like in the USA. Town-gas models are also for sale now that town-gas use is getting popular.

In fact, cosmetically they look the same. However there are some locally-made brands (Haceb and Icasa are the two major national manufacturers) and imported models. However, flash heaters (calentadores de paso) are also available for people who live in apartments or don't have the ability to use a normal heater.

Here in New York, the local Quiznos hot sandwich shop around the block from my office has a flash heater connected to the bathroom sink. It's powered off a 220 volt hot-hot socket underneath the sink (not GFCI protected at the outlet, maybe at the breaker box?).

The damned thing doesn't work! It's bull! You run the water, the light on the little plastic box turns on....but the water is still ice cold in the winter (and cold in the summer)!!!!!! I'm starting to think it's just a box with a lightbulb. [Linked Image]

Isn't there a health code that says you must have hot water in your restaurant bathroom?

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 02-20-2003).]

#22026 02/21/03 10:11 AM
P
The major problem with these "instant" showers and water heaters is that the element heats the water THRU a certain temperature range rather than TO a specific temperature.

The temperature of the emerging water depends upon:
(a) the temperature at which the cold water enters
(b) the power of the element (naturally!), and
(c) the rate of flow.

Given that you have no control over the first two variables once a system is installed, the only way to increase the water temperature is to reduce the flow rate. Some people have gone with underpoowered units here only to discover that to get anything like even lukewarm water in winter they have to reduce the flow to little more than a dribble.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard