ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#218352 03/25/17 10:31 AM
S
The other day I saw some old looking decora style duplex receptacles. They had three lines on the face and looked like may have been different size from most decora. Brand was Slater. I may pick them up if anyone wants pictures. Guessing these were very early decora.

Also some some old Sierra cover plates in weird colors, they had gray and white, which seems more modern than the era the plates were from.

Administrator
If you could add some pictures that would be great!

N
Decora is a Leviton brand/trademark, the original device may have been Sierraplex from the now defunct Sierra Electric.

Slater had the Sierra look a likes that fit a standard Decora face plate

S
Here are some decorator devices I have that I thought you might be interested to see. The switch is a Circle F No Klik. I've never seen a decorator switch built this way, there's no frame around the paddle and you can see the mechanism behind it.

The 20 Amp outlet says Sierra Sola Basic on it.

[Linked Image from i.lensdump.com]
[Linked Image from i.lensdump.com]

S
Good Lord, they look older than I do

Do they even have a groundING terminal?

I can't tell.....

~SA~

C
Looks like the right one has a self grounding clip on bottom device screw, and middle one might have a clip on lower right back side? for grounding

~s~

Come on buddy, older than you?

The desbar style no ground receptacle is a real gem. Used to see devices with two, three, receptacles, and a sp switch.

John
S
That desbar style I've had for several years. I just got the other two. Habitat Restore has been a good source for this stuff, these all came from there.

The Circle F and Sierra both have green grounding screws. The Sierra also has push in wiring option also. It seems to be a Spec Grade item because it's quite well built and seems to have brass mounting strap. I've also not seen a receptacle to have the voltage and amperage on the face as it has. When did Sierra stop making devices? I remember they too had a desbar like receptacle but it fit a decorator plate that was narrower.

There were three of the Circle F rockers, and all seemed to be NOS. I just got one though.

N
Circle F later became Sylvania Wiring Devices, and the last was Challenger, maybe Westinghouse killed them when they bought Challenger as they already had Bryant wiring devices, Bryant was later sold to Hubbell.

Link Copied to Clipboard