ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#21813 02/11/03 07:30 AM
T
Is their any feisable way to offer incentives to employees. Since my last post (Paid Enemies)one member suggested offering incentives to stimulate production. I'm looking for your thoughts and experiences in this subject. There has to be a better way...

#21814 02/11/03 07:40 AM
S
tsolanto,
the economy under the Bush cabal is sliding into the dumper, and you need to ask this?

~how about 'hunger'?

#21815 02/11/03 10:51 AM
E
Here's one. Work your full day get your full pay!

#21816 02/11/03 12:36 PM
G
one incentive that works for me, is the sign i have on the bulletin board: "there are too many good, qualified electricians in this area that truly need a job, for me to put up with any slackers, who wont carry their share of the load, and be happy about it!"

i give one warning, then their out on their dead a**! and, your absolutely right about the condition of our economy. one good thing about it, perhaps the only good thing, is we can afford to be very, very picky about our people. as an employer, you dont have to put up with a bunch of nonsense.

on the positive side, i give paid days off for a "completed job well done", free tickets to sporting events for cost- cutting, good decision-making, and good final inspections.
we have a company bar-b-que every year, on July 4th, for employees and their families, free of charge, of course.........and a family Christmas party every year, with "santa" and gifts for the kiddies, and i hand out bonus checks and employee gifts myself.

just a few suggestions.... [Linked Image]

gramps

#21817 02/11/03 12:59 PM
L
Sparky,
cabal - A conspiratorial group of plotters or intriguers
**********"Say it ain't so, Joe"!

Tsolanto,
In good economic times a good job is hard to find. Given the current economic woes even a hard job is good to find.
The fact that you were caught unaware by your foreman's behavoir leads me to believe that you don't have the time to be on site too often. It sounds as if you need a good sotto capo out there to keep the family in order. You sound like a decent guy to work for, perhaps too decent. Leadership must always be by example. Tom has to go ASAP or do a complete 180, which is very doubtful. He will screw up the attitude of even your good employees. By keeping him on any longer than truly necessary also reflects on your leadership as viewed by the other employees.

Unfortunately, my experience has led me to conclude that, indeed, the Pareto Principle holds true for the workforce - 20 percent of the people do 80 percent of the work. It is difficult to reward this 20% without alienating the remaining 80%. Incentives programs are difficult to administer and if not well thought out can many times create dissenion in the ranks(the 80% share in the benefit produced by the 20% --- now the 20% are PO'ed). Beware of any program that may be perceived as "a carrot on a stick" by your employees. The goals have to be truly attainable at least half the time and the rewards should be as immediate as possible --- "gratificus instantainae". Year end bonuses seem a lifetime away, especially to younger workers(remember?).

Earned extra time off is a very powerful motivator, just don't compromise safety and quality in the process. A day or so off every few months won't bankrupt you if all your jobs are coming in on schedule. Set goals and deadlines. Let them motivate each other and learn to work as a team. Tools, tee shirts, a monthly lunch/breakfast etc. are inexpensive rewards. I don't know how you would work this with T&M jobs, but the example is just for the sake of getting the thought processes started. Include your employees in the process of instituting this plan and choosing rewards. Put them in your shoes. You'll probably learn some very interesting things...

Good luck,

Len

edits: These forums all need built in spell checking...

[This message has been edited by Len_B (edited 02-11-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Len_B (edited 02-11-2003).]

#21818 02/11/03 01:01 PM
L
gramps...are you looking for another electrician. [Linked Image]

#21819 02/11/03 02:09 PM
M
Hey Gramps,
What part of the country are you in! More bosses should be like you. Instead you get bosses that don't give their employees a pat on the back let alone a bonus for your hard work.

#21820 02/11/03 02:26 PM
G
lighthouse, actually, if this weather ever breaks, i'll prolly need all the help i can get. [Linked Image]..i have 2 fair sized commercial jobs that should have already been started, but because of the weather, the GC is behind, the concrete guys are behind, etc. i know whats gonna happen, when we finally can start these jobs, its gonna be "balls to the wall", 7 days a week, to get 'em done on time. never fails... [Linked Image]
right now, we are doing a lot of shop work, cleaning and making repairs to service trucks and equipment, (like replacing cords on the threaders, bandsaws, and drills), and doing some in-shop training for the younger guys. several years ago, i build a large pegboard training panel, with a wide variety of wiring devices mounted on it,devices that are used in industrial apps. as well as residential and commercial devices. i even have an allen-bradley PLC-5 setup for training the motor control guys. this "rube Goldberg" apparatus intrigues most of the young guys, and even some of the older ones, [Linked Image]....and, right now, we are spending a lot of time with it, doing wiring arrangements, troubleshooting scenarios, etc.
if only the weather would warm up a little........ [Linked Image]

gramps

#21821 02/11/03 04:27 PM
P
Len, I couldn't agree with you more about the need for spell checking. As a suggestion to anyone who cares, I compose my larger postings in MS Word, which does check spelling. Then cut and paste the corrected text into the reply box when posting.

Sorry for getting off on a tangent.

#21822 02/11/03 07:42 PM
L
pearlfish,

I know. I always tell myself to do that - but all my posts are going to be short ones - right up until I start typing...

Len_B(igmouth, like a bass)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard