ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
T
in China's electrical power system, for three phase system,above 380V,current standard: yellow for phase A, green for phase B, red for phase C, blue or black for neutral, yellow/green for earth.

T
Thanks! Sounds a bit problematic having both yellow and green next to yellow/green (in many countries yellow and green were banned altogether for that very reason).

T
Thanks for your message, Texas Ranger! as far as i know , china and russia were using the same standard,and this standard has been in use for many years.
But personally , I prefer white ,green, red for phase A,B,C
and black for earth.

A
Hello Tjia,
nice to have a member from china!
is black a common color for earth in china? Or do you mean PEN (combined neutral and ground)?
We sometimes deliver machines to china. We use black for phase A, B, C in the control cabinet and green-yellow for ground. I wonder if somebody might mistake our phases for ground.

Last edited by andey; 10/31/16 09:24 AM.
T
A few updates from my side:

Sweden, pre-1970: no fixed standard for live and neutral, rather local customs. In some regions white was live and black neutral, in others just the opposite. Other common phase colours were green and yellow. Red - as in Germany - could serve a variety of functions, e.g. earth, traveller, switched phase etc.

Hungary: same as Germany until about 1960 when neutral became blue instead of grey, around ten years later earth was changed from red to yellow/green too.

Germany: seriously confusing. Grey has been neutral/PEN since the 1920s or even longer. Red, however, was only introduced in 1958 for earth in fixed wiring (and various other purposes) and already abandoned again in 1965 in favour of yellow/green. In reality, red was also frequently used as a PEN in some regions.

Separate earth conductors in fixed wiring did not exist in the VDE regulations prior to 1958, those in flexible cords were red.

T
Hi, andey.
Over here in china,Including all the single phase and three phase electrical equipment and appliance, yellow/green is the specified color for protective earthing!
At about more than 10 years ago, in some area, black was used for earth ,but has been banned!
For the imported machines from germany, I think the user must read the instructions carefully to avoid mistake .

Hope this wiil help you.

T
Two other notes I forgot yesterday: France seems to favour red for L1 in domestic conduit installs, you can even buy "pre-mixed" rolls of three 1.5 or 2.5 mm2 conduit singles (H07V-U) - red, blue and yellow/green at DIY stores.

And Russia and Ukraine seem to like white as a phase conductor, I keep seeing cables with white, blue and yellow/green in pictures and Youtube videos.

A
The Russians also seem to use pink yellow green for 3 phase work also blue brown for single phase flexible same as in UK and europe also older wiring uses black and white for flexible I don't think they believe in earthing. Apparently the rumanians have a real aversion to earthing

T
Red rather than pink according to what Tjia posted above. And yes, isolated rooms seem to be rather common in a few countries, ignoring the fact that it's almost impossible to have a room without exposed earth potential these days (radiators, satellite TV wiring shields, network cables etc. etc.).

The basic idea was that in a room without exposed earth potential it's impossible to receive a fatal shock even if something becomes live at 230 V. Therefore, class-0 appliances are legal (devices containing single-insulated live conductors and other parts, not earthed) and class-1 appliances simply become class-0. The concept existed in Austria and Germany until 1958 but continued to be used much longer, e.g. in Sweden (1995) and is still in use in some countries, e.g. France, the Netherlands and Morocco. Not sure about Romania and Russia.

Another atrocity you never had in the UK is TN-C, i.e. a PEN in the entire installation with neutral/earth jumpers at every socket and light. Factor in 2.5 mm2 Al wiring and things get REALLY nasty! This method was banned in the 70s in most countries west of the Iron Curtain but used much longer on the eastern side.

A
I still think thorough earthing is a good idea I know that if your on dry carpet upstairs the chance of shocks are minimal but it only takes a finger or toe to brush against something and suddenly your exposed to the full 240 volts not nice. Its strange how many unsafe practices are allowed by people who should know better

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard