ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 92 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#217690 10/16/16 08:54 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Just got his J-man ticket, passed 1st shot.

So we've another sparky in the family (which are all stocking up on candles) .....:) It's interesting from a perspective of mid 80's to be part of a 'millenia' (sp?) coming to fruition.

(iirc , there was a trade rag article recently)....

But it's the #'s that really get me, around 10-12 4th yr grads in '16 looking to test, as opposed to 10X's that in my day

Is it worth it ?(I've been reading you Reno) ....you tell me

~S~

sparky #217691 10/16/16 10:53 PM
G
I think there is plenty of opportunity in the sparky biz but the people who can move up will know about big copper and bending pipe but they also need to be computer literate because big switch gear is going to have a computer running it. The closer you get to the end user, the more computers you are going to see.
Remind the hard core geeks, the computer is just blinking lights until you can connect it to serious amps and get some work done. The money will be for that guy who can stand in both worlds and keep them hooked together and humming.

Greg Fretwell
sparky #217699 10/20/16 08:08 PM
~s~:

First, congrats to Son of Sparky!

As Greg said, those coming into the trade have to keep up with the NEC, and keep up on technology which is moving fast.

Another suggestion, think about getting inspector credentials 'in your wallet' for when you get tired of the tools and/or the hassles of running a business.

John
HotLine1 #217700 10/20/16 09:14 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Yeah he did well , and i found that article

Popularly known as “millennials” (ages 20–34), this generation numbers some 66 million and has become the nation’s largest labor market

I agree with you gentlemen on 'keeping up', i would encourage considering a 'trade niche' of some sort, seems to be a lot of them growing in popularity these days.

And i hold an IAEI cert HotOne , i'm even back to attending meetings @ the Green Mountain chapter , only 50 odd members in the whole state......:(

I'm unsure if i'd be good on your 'side of the fence' or not , but i will say that if there's fewer AHJ's, there'll be fewer EC's , so albeit sounding somewhat self serving, i am supportive.....

I'm waiting for my young man to get carded , maybe tip off my ahj ahead of time , get 'his work' inspected while i go off for a coffee ...:)

~S~

sparky #217701 10/20/16 10:43 PM
~s~
FWIW, heard from a lot of guys, something to the effect of
"a good inspector comes from good sparkies, both j-men and ECs"

John
sparky #217818 11/27/16 02:08 AM
Congratulations Steve and to your son.
There is nothing nicer than the smell of a freshly printed ticket. cool
I have to agree with the comments of Greg though, gone are the days of an Electrician, merely pulling wires and hooking them up, that was OK back in the day, these days the Electrician needs to be more savvy.
I've found that in the years that I've been involved in the Electrical trade here, you have to be much more than an installer, you need to do the little intricate things like PLC's, smart relays, and all the relay and control stuff that we always did.
These days though, we are required to do all sorts of things with apps (where smart-phones control this, that and the next thing), customers require this, as a turn-key option.
Those that can embrace that and pick up the ball and run are going to be the ones that make the money.

Link Copied to Clipboard