ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
K
Hello,

I have a query concerning identify appropriate electrical mast flashing product for a renovation work. The roof and interior ceiling shown in the attached picture requires repair work due to water damage. It seems water is entering the area via the penetration in the roof where the electrical mast is installed. The electrical mast on the roof is installed very close to the wall and on the step flashing. This seems to be the area where water seems to penetrate and cause damage to the interior ceiling.

Is it recommended to re-locate the existing electrical mast to a location further away from the wall and then repair the roof and ceiling assembly, and then install an appropriate electrical mast flashing product OR Is it possible to repair the roof and ceiling while the electrical mast is still in place. Would an electrical mast flashing product be available for such an installation where the electrical mast is installed so close to the wall on the step flashing, because usually the flashing product would require few inches of clearance.

I'd appreciate your comments and recommendations.

Thank you.

Attached Images
Greystone Electrical (6).jpg
Cat Servant
I am not surprised there is a leak! There's nothing 'right' about that penetration. No competent roofer would attempt to 'flash' the penetration that way.

Yes, the mast should be spaced farther off the wall where it enters the lower roof. This means about 5" of clearance, minimum.

Yes, a proper 'boot' should be used. While electricians often use all-metal tapered boots, a boot with a rubber insert - as used by plumbers- is just fine. The boot needs to be slipped under the 'uphill' shingles and over the 'downhill' shingles. (This is a normal flashing detail).

No, you can't really do this without disconnecting the electrical service and re-working the mast.

But really ....

I'm not even sure that service meets your Power Company's requirements. They usually do not want ANY of the service mast concealed from view; they don't want someone to be able to tap in to the power before the meter.

I've never seen the service wires wrapped up as are those in the picture.

Likewise, I don't understand why there are two service masts present.

All these details make me suspect a service installed by an unqualified person, as well as many other 'improvements' to the building over the years - work that saw neither inspections nor professional work. Heaven alone knows what other violations are present (grounding?)

As Mike Holmes would say: Rip it all out. Do it over. Do it right.

K
Thank you very much for your response. I agree with the incompentance on all parts of the work done and inspection conducted as well. This facility was built back in 1970s and handed over to us so very little we could have done.

The roofing detail was not done well, as it is evident with this problem.

The white service mast is for the communications service, which is not much of an issue, but the painted (brown) electrial service mast which penetrates the roof is an issue.

Good afternoon:
As Reno said, there may be other issues with this.

Keep in mind that Reno and I are 'stateside', and use the NEC, and out area POCO rules. One of our Canadian members should jump in on this.

The service in the pic would be 'red tagged' IMHO, by me, as to why are the conductors wrapped?? Are they damaged from rubbing on the corner of the structure?

The mast/riser is considered 'inside the structure'. This may be the result of an addition to the structure, which enclosed the riser. Possibly this was an 'open' area between the two buildings?

John
New MB and mast on the same side as the point of attachment. There isn't a flashing designed for that exsiting set up. I am going with that riser was on the outside of the building until they attached a shed to it smile also

T
twh Offline
Where is the meter?

$20 US says behind the door, before you get to the light bulb.

How about it katwalatapan, can you get a pic of the meter??

John
K
Thank you everyone for your comments.

The service conductors from the mast terminate at the main disconnect switch in the shed/room. Then they are connected to the utility meter. The utility meter is installed as part of meter stack with other tenant meters.

T
twh Offline
That isn't a mast so there are no "mast" products available. It's just a piece of conduit running through a roof. If it were a flat roof, a pitch pocket would be the solution.

Check with a roofer to see what they recommend. Maybe a flashing can be built to create a raised pocket into which a sealant can be poured.

Yeah, I agree with twh.

Link Copied to Clipboard