ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Great question.

I would retreat! He was called first, so it is his baby.

I hope he is willing to pay "child support"! laugh

Last edited by sparky66wv; 09/03/16 11:32 PM.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
I have to say the inspection side always looked like it required a lot of patience Virgil

It appears you've managed to find some, so go you!

~S~

E
Would like to comment about the variation in thoroughness of inspections by comparing two here in Southern Maine. Different municipalities, different inspectors. I won't name either. Both jobs were interior renovations - new walls, new receptacles on old walls, new lighting. Both commercial (office space).

In the first, *everything* was critiqued. Ceiling tiles were moved, labeling was scrutinized, even things that were there long before I arrived were picked on (I was required to identify and label some transformers that weren't even associated with the same tenant, and had been there for 20+ years...)

Different location, 15 miles distance per Google, one year later -- bigger job twofold -- guy walks in, looks at one outlet and one junction box, suggests I add another EXIT sign, and is done.

The classic "new service" residential inspection in my home town, further north, is done by the power company, as there is no local inspector. This may have changed, as I haven't done work up there in some ten years, but last time I did, the whole thing was basically, "main breaker? check. ground rod(s)? check. no gargantuan flameballs when we plug the meter in? check. you're good, have a nice day."

G
I used to like climbing ladders to see the stuff they thought I would not be looking at. (removing covers etc) That will give you a better idea about the things they plan for you to look at. Covering 5 counties, my travel time could be 3 hours so it seemed silly to me to do a drive by inspection. Besides I just like looking at stuff and working for the state, they had some cool stuff. wink

Greg Fretwell
G
I knew 1 'inspector' who joked that he slowly drove past the site. If there were no visible smoke or flames he would sign off on it.

Ghost307
G
During the housing boom (2004-5) drive by inspections were not that rare. Guys were leaving the shop with 40+ cards in their pocket spread out across the whole county. There was barely time enough to sign the permits and drive to the next one. I was happy to miss that mess. By then I was out but I did have offers to be a contract guy for an engineering company doing 1&2 family. I passed.

Greg Fretwell
W
Some inspectors may figure that if they inspect one random house out of 20 done by the same electrical contractor, and find no problems at the random house, he'll figure all the houses are good and pass them all.

Personally, "drive bys" at the end of the day do not do anybody good.

If I ever left the office with 40 cards spread over the 32 sq. miles of the Twp., it would be a very, very long day. Again, the 'load' depends on what the jobs are, and IF they are 'all over'. We had a 'flash' guy back a few years that said he has a 'sticker gun'!! He didn't last to long.

A good day at the ranch is 10-12 each for my inspectors (2) and 6-9 for me. On a 'bad day' when I'm the 'lone ranger' it supposed to cap out at 14.

FYI, doing one unit out of 20 could result in some serious issues with the DCA here in NJ.

John
It was the Sunday before he was scheduled the next day, so no danger in that.

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
I must say that I have learned a lot with this new experience, and have found myself wanting to be more an educator than an enforcer. My repeat ECs are learning what I like to see and the Joe Homeowners get some free advice, and as long as we can resolve those issues within 24 hours, I'll put an approved sticker on it and withhold the Cut-In-Card until I have seen pics texted to me of the issues I have specified being resolved. It it a way to make the installation pass without having to fail them. Go technology.

Last edited by sparky66wv; 10/31/16 09:14 PM.

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard