ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
I've only used Accubid Pro Classic but it's expensive. I think it runs for $2,500 license, and after a year if you want the upgrades it's around $800 a year to keep it up to date.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
P
You think Accubid is not worth the price? Can you write its disadvantages? Esticom wants $99 per month, so it is almost the same. Donīt know about any updates though.

N
It's worth the price. I just didn't know what your budget was. Usually that's the top complaint about Accubid.

As any software you will have to learn it and get used to it.

What type and size of projects will you be estimating?

N
Here's a good video on what to expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T20uxGu82s

The training videos are also a good preview:

https://sites.google.com/site/accubidstartuptraining/courses

Last edited by NTesla; 09/08/16 06:53 PM.
P
Thank you for the videos, especially the training ones. Iīll try demo version and see if I like it.

S
I guess i'll be the thread luddite smile

I've come full circle , give all the software salesmen , SEO's and any other 'quick $$ made w/o a brain' the door.

No thank you ....

I learned to be competitive the old school way , and what i see is this evolving towards a technology that is analogous to those who can't make change w/o the cash register doing the math for them

You'll not THINK on your feet , which is exactly what you'll need to do in a room of EC;s vying for position.

Further, most of the folks selling these goods purposely engineer it so you'll be addicted to constant updates, as well as have their claws into whatever biz management they can assume of it failing for you

I view them as predators ,have know a number of them too, many are failed EC's btw , can you say 'crackhead'? smile

Yeah, i'm a real old school curmudgeon , but i earned it!

~S~

Last edited by sparky; 09/18/16 09:56 PM.
P
I think you are mostly right. Too much technology might make you think less and less. Every technology is made to be as user friendly as possible, so you wouldnīt have to think about it.
But smile some technology is needed because it will make your life easier. I used excel for a long time. Before excel I had my notepad and pen. I dare say I am thinking through my projects just as much nowadays as ever.

So, some technology is good, but letīs not overdo it.

N
Originally Posted by PoLu
I think you are mostly right. Too much technology might make you think less and less. Every technology is made to be as user friendly as possible, so you wouldnīt have to think about it.
But smile some technology is needed because it will make your life easier. I used excel for a long time. Before excel I had my notepad and pen. I dare say I am thinking through my projects just as much nowadays as ever.

So, some technology is good, but letīs not overdo it.

Bring on the technology. I've gone paperless and do all my takeoff onscreen. I still use the same estimating methods and I still have to interpret the drawings. For me it makes some tasks easier and I like how everything is linked so I can find the takeoff on the drawing quickly.

S
Technology is here to stay ,fact is a biz owner would be crazy to not embrace it , because the world is beating it's path in asci to any of it these days.

But since it's proliferated every corner of it , there's no excuse to have anyone ,or anything on our dime and/or holding our hands

This is one of the 'tools' i learned to use, sells jobs like hotcakes for us>>>

[Linked Image from i104.photobucket.com]

Software found in a Kmart bargain bin, $5, ages '4-6' ......:)

~S~

C
Esticom is what we use as it's cloud based and doesn't require servers, databases, etc. It's per user and a monthly subscription, but you can access anywhere, upload drawings and start performing take-offs and estimates. Creates a quote as well.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard