ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Is the fact of more electrical contractors are popping up creating a 'shortage' of electricians? Or are the prospects of 'winning' a bid creating a possible glut of contractors?

I believe it is a direct result of the downturn in the Alberta and Saskatchewan economy which is a result of low oil and mineral prices.

The reason electricians and other trades in my place of work received a retention bonus is all about timing IMO. Had the local economy tanked a year earlier I doubt we would have gotten the bonus. Since the Alberta and Saskatchewan oil and mining was prosperous for so many years it was tough to recruit trades people and this is what got the discussion going that resulted in a retention bonus. Some of the guys thought that the administration that gave you us the bonus a year ago might take it away (they can do so at anytime). Fortunately we are still receiving it.

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne
Yes, and many of these guys who buy the new truck for their business ultimately fail because while they're good at their job they have no experience in running a competitive business.

Reminds me of what my first journeyman once told me about how a good estimator is worth his weight in gold.

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne
P
Unfortunately, it depends on where exactly you work. I read an article about highest paying cities for electricians in US and their average annual wage was above $75.000. The cost of living is also higher, but it canīt be that bad.

PoLu:
Welcome to ECN!!!

Yes the COL is 'high' in a lot of areas that have 'high' income levels. Basically, IMHO...it is what it is.

The New York Metro area COL is high, along with the greater Philadelphia area, which is where I am.

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard