ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
Hello
I'm working as a helper in small electrical firm. Today we had a debate in the work about the following chart:
you have first resistor which has 4 ohm ... than followed two resistors with 6 ohm each (these both resistors are parallel between each other). What is resistance at the end of the chart?
We debate more than an hour at the work. The answer in the book is 5 ohm. However some electrician say that correct answer is 7 ohm. What is correcy answer?
Thanks

S

R
If two 6 ohm resistors are in parallel, the resistance is 3 ohms. Add the 4 ohms in series with this and you have your 7 ohms.

F
Originally posted by Mike Shn:
Hello
I'm working as a helper in small electrical firm. Today we had a debate in the work about the following chart:
you have first resistor which has 4 ohm ... than followed two resistors with 6 ohm each (these both resistors are parallel between each other). What is resistance at the end of the chart?

If the 6 ohm resistors is connected in parallel then the total resitance of these resistors is 3 ohm. If you connect them in series with the 4 ohm resistor, then your total resistance is 7 ohm. However, if you connect the 4 ohm resistor in parallel also with each of 6 ohm reistors, the total reistance is 1.71 ohm.
We debate more than an hour at the work. The answer in the book is 5 ohm. However some electrician say that correct answer is 7 ohm. What is correcy answer?
Thanks

S
********1***1
RT= R1 + ( - + - )
********R2***R3

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 06-25-2001).]

Broom Pusher and
Quick answers:

If DC, the total resistance is 7 ohms.

If AC, and one element is in reality some type of Reactance, then total Impedance is 5 ohms.

If AC, and all elements are pure resistance [true power only - no Reactance, or very minimal Reactance], then 7 ohms is the total resistance.

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Tom Offline
You can't believe everything you read. Every time that I teach an electrical course, I work all the problems & see if my answers agree with the teachers answer guide. It is awful embarassing to be in front of a class trying to tell them they are all wrong when they are, in fact, 100% right.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
S
This seems to be a simple combination circuit. In my humble opinion the answer is 7 ohms.

HMEL #688

B
Originally posted by Scott35:
Quick answers:

If DC, the total resistance is 7 ohms.

If AC, and one element is in reality some type of Reactance, then total Impedance is 5 ohms.

If AC, and all elements are pure resistance [true power only - no Reactance, or very minimal Reactance], then 7 ohms is the total resistance.

Scott SET

I am assuming that they were talking DC, however if the reactance is unknown how do you come up with a 5 ohm impedance and if there is a reactance there should be a corresponding phase angle. ???Or the impedance of a two terminal device is defined as follows; Voltage across the element(v(t))/ current through the element i
(t), when v(t) and i(t)have the sink reference relation and when v(t) and I(t)each vary as eEXPst.

Link Copied to Clipboard