ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 298 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sort of interesting considering in BC we don't need a disconnect for a water heater

Cat Servant
I'm not sure we are REQUIRED to do so, either. It seems to be a regional thing, or dependent on the location.

Household water heaters .... in the cities you seem to find them hooked up to a real disconnect on the wall using flex. Out in the suburbs,you're likely to just find a tail of cable poking out a hole in the wall.

Personally, it is my thought that good design would allow for the water heater to be replaced (or repaired) without requiring the plumber to take apart the electrical connections. I also like having a way to disconnect the heater right where the plumber will be working.

G
This water heater business all comes from Article 422.

Cord and plug connection is here

422.16 Flexible Cords.
(A) General. Flexible cord shall be permitted (1) for the connection of appliances to facilitate their frequent interchange or to prevent the transmission of noise or vibration or (2) to facilitate the removal or disconnection of appliances that are fastened in place, where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance or repair and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection.
(handbook commentary)

It should be understood that a cord-connected appliance is required to be specifically designed, mechanically and electrically, to be readily removable for maintenance and repair.

The disconnect is here

422.31 Disconnection of Permanently Connected Appliances.
(B) Appliances Rated over 300 Volt-Amperes or 1/8 Horsepower. For permanently connected appliances rated over 300 volt-amperes or 1/8 hp, the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is capable of being locked in the open position. The provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the switch or circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall remain in place with or without the lock installed.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Thanks for the specific Articles!

Yes, a lot of WHs have a tail coming thru the sheetrock, as the 'original' install. Replacements are either a disco being installed, or a red tag & phone call to do the breaker lockout or install the disco. Some argue, all eventually comply.

I have only came upon a very few that were cord/plug connected. All were red tagged.

John
G
Cord and plug was pretty popular here right after the disco rule was applied to water heaters. (I think the language was there for decades)
Most are tagged these days.

Greg Fretwell
G
I looked and it was essentially the same in 75

Greg Fretwell
T
The hazard of electrical fires in Canada is a heavily debated topic. I have read this blog that says nearly 20% of such occurrences are due to faulty electrical appliances, improper wiring and irresponsible usage ( http://www.theshockdoctors.ca/blog/general/electrical-fires-in-canada/ ). The only way to deal with the issue is to ensure the safety of electrical units and if any signs point to a problem, definitely consider the help of licensed electrical contractors.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard