ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
The river by my house is lined with docks and lifts. There are also canals for additional dock space so we have lots of work going on. I doubt 20% of it is permitted and inspected.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Got the 2x10s up. I'll try to post a picture when I get time. Just,wondering how many expansion couplings I would need on a 100ft. Run of 3/4" pvc conduit?

G
If you design for 100f degree swing and 100 feet out, it is 4.06" according to table 352.44
Carlon has a pretty good guide
https://www.platt.com/CutSheets/Multiple/ConduitExpansionFittings-CutSheet.pdf

Greg Fretwell
G
One thing to remember is if you elbow up and down to each light along the way, you are breaking up that expansion and if you don't strap the vertical too close to the elbow, you get quite a bit of "wiggle room". I don't really see than many expansion fittings if they can do a flexible enough design.

Greg Fretwell
S
I will have 1 (3/4) run the length of the walkway feeding the boat dock. I will run the lights on the walkway in 1/2". I figure the 3/4" is the one mainly that,will need the expansion fitting.

G
Both runs them will expand and contract with the temperature changes...and to the same degree.
I'd put 2 expansion joints in each run; it's cheaper than maxing out the one fitting on a really hot day and having to rip everything out and start over.

Ghost307
G
As long as the run has regular (interval) elbows up and down for the lights, that will usually handle the expansion. Just be careful not to strap too close to the elbow on the verticals so they have some wiggle room. You can strap the horizontal a few inches from the elbow to secure it as long as the pipe can move. On the long run, I would use several expansion couplers so they spread out the work. You don't want the pipe to bind, halfway down and pull apart or rip out the straps. Those plastic straps are junk anyway. I would go for stainless 2 holers if you can get them. I know the dock guys use them here so they are available. It may be a plumbing store thing.

Greg Fretwell
S
Can't seem to be able to find the exact type flex needed between the pier and the ramp needed for flexibility. I know it has to be watertight, but can it be carflex. Looks like if you use flexible metal that the metal ground would eventually break into with all the up down motion of the water. Also, article 555(I think that's right) says it is not for private or non commercial use. Please refresh6 me on the article that does pertain to it. It's been a rough job bouncing on the the waves and my brain is sorta bouncing too. Thanks

G
555.13(A)(2) says you can use SO cord (assuming the right grips on each end) If you needed additional protection I guess you could sleeve that in Carflex since it is a chapter 3 wiring method as stated in 555.13(A)(1), pursuant to protection in 555.13(B)(a)(5). If there are sections above the deck you need RNC per 555.13(B)(5)

Greg Fretwell
G
Just make sure that you get the UV and water resistant cord or you'll be replacing it next season.

Ghost307
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard