ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 114 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
L
LarryC Offline OP
Existing warehouse. 2000A service feeding busduct hung off of outside wall. Busduct is 12 feet above floor. All connections from disconnects go up. Owner wants to put workbenches and tool storage cabinets no taller than six feet, below bus, along the wall.

Electrician says no, need to maintain working clearance. I thought the only requirements were 36 inches in front of, six feet or hard ceiling above, and four feet below bottom of disconnect.

Am I completely off base?

Thanks

G
I think the Electrician is correct.
How would you access the bus without moving the cabinets?

Ghost307
G
What is in the bus duct? Is it something that is "likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized"?

Can they simply put a catwalk over the cabinets? They are 12' AFF. What is the access now?

Greg Fretwell
L
LarryC Offline OP
Is it something that is "likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized"?

That was my point. If you have to move or add a disconnect, then move the benches or cabinets at that time. Otherwise the only expected operation while energized would be operating the disconnect via an insulated pole.

Fuse replacement would be done after operating the disconnect and access to the disconnect is easily arranged by step ladder or manlift.

Link Copied to Clipboard