ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#217079 04/29/16 05:12 PM
Y
What do they make that you can trace a wire from Device or Motor to the Panel to get the correct circuit without shutting the power off. Some of the loads run 24/7 And are not marked correctly.
Both 3 phase & single phase.
Thank you
Yoopersup

G
There are breaker finders that insert some kind of signal on the wire that you can pick up with the tester at the breaker end. The one I have is 120v only tho (a wall wart looking sender). I put a 1-15 receptacle on a pigtail with some insulated clips so I can use it on a circuit without a receptacle handy.

Greg Fretwell
T
twh Offline
I tried a couple different tracers that are plugged into an outlet and have had some success and some failures. When I'm turning off a plug circuit that really has to be right, I built a box with a 4 amp cycling load so I can verify the circuit with a clamp-on ammeter.

A telephone toner will work on a dead circuit.

B
Originally Posted by twh
I tried a couple different tracers that are plugged into an outlet and have had some success and some failures. When I'm turning off a plug circuit that really has to be right, I built a box with a 4 amp cycling load so I can verify the circuit with a clamp-on ammeter.

So can I ask what do you use for cycling?
I've been looking for one of those flashers people used to use at Christmas, but they don't sell them where I am.

Thanks

T
twh Offline
For a cycling load, I have a couple magnetic heaters inside a 10x10 JB with a heat sink from an old VFD opposite the heaters. They cycle on for about a second and off for about 3 seconds.

It takes about one second for an ammeter to give a good reading. The off time is longer to reduce the heat.

I have an ammeter with forks that slip over the wires so I don't have to clamp on to each wire.

Sometimes the panel feeders have a steady enough load that the phase can be determined, which reduces the number of tests on breakers.

This is a result of an incorrectly labelled breaker that the circuit tracer also incorrectly identified. It's a funny thing. If the power goes out on computers, everyone goes outside for a smoke. If an electrician makes a mistake, they want to see blood on the walls.

G
It's a funny thing. If the power goes out on computers, everyone goes outside for a smoke.

Trust me, when the computers are down, there are still plenty of people who want to see some blood on the wall. wink

Greg Fretwell
Y
Most the Loads I am talking about are 3 phase 480 v motor loads.
120 Volt loads are not a problem/
Still Looking

Link Copied to Clipboard