ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Potseal Offline OP
A week ago my old iPhone 3GS stopped getting service. No matter what I tried I could not get a signal. Reluctantly I gave up on trying to make it useful as a phone but since everything else still worked perfectly I thought there still must be a good use for it. After a little research I now use it as a cheap security camera that sits in one of my garage windows and monitors anyone approaching my house from the street. The basic app "Manything" is free on iTunes or you can purchase a more extensive version. I can be at work, login into the app's website and see in real time what is currently happening or go back and look at recorded "events" (when there's motion in the monitored area). Definitely not a replacement for a quality security camera but if you want a cheap extra set of eyes at home when your away this is pretty good.

Anybody know of any other uses for old cell phones? I happen to have a couple more collecting dust.

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne
G
My wife bought a Gear VR headset that works with her phone and it is real cool. I have no need for that much phone but when she upgrades, I am taking it. It doesn't need a data plan to run the VR. It works with WiFi.
I have an old flip phone that gets about 20 minutes a year on it.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard