ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
Hi all,

My name is Dominic and I'm looking for some help and advice with rewiring an old 4 speed floor fan.

The story is that years ago I inherited an antique fan grom my grandmother after she passed away. I cleaned it up and it looks and runs great- and both myself and my girlfriend love it.

So a few weeks back when I saw a much larger (but similar vintage) floor standing fan I bought it in a heartbeat and was keen for another weekend project to keep me busy.

However the wiring on this one is a fair bit more complicated than the last- and the capacitor and transformer that it used were so rusted and corroded that none of the values were readable. However I'm pleased to say that the windings of the coil are in great condition.

So here are the specifics from what I understand:
1. It runs on 240 VAC at 50HZ and is rated at 2.2A.
2. It has two windings- one of which seems to be the capacitor start winding which appeared to be always energised.
3. It has 4 speeds (plus off) and used a transformer (or maybe a choke?) to achieve this, as well as a 4 speed rotary selector switch.

The only absolutes I know are:
1. The supply voltage of 240 VAC / 50Hz / 2.2A
2. The resitance of the start winding is 68 ohms and the run winding is 31 ohms,
3. That the warn out components are the capacitor, transformer and rotary selector switch.

I've drawn a diagram of how I imaging the circuit would function using a two pole, 5 position rotary switch but I was wondering if someone might have the smarts to tell me whether this diagram is correct- and if so what the values of the capacitor and transformer would need to be?

Or of course if there's a better way to do it using a more modern fan speed controller.

Many thanks,

Dom

The fan before (top part):
[Linked Image from s28.postimg.org] [img]http://postimg.org/image/g1odh5icp/[/img]

The fan before (bottom part):

Last edited by DomOKelly; 02/29/16 10:51 PM.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

D
I ran out of editing time so here are some more photos:

The fan before (top part):
[Linked Image from s28.postimg.org]

The fan before (bottom part):
[Linked Image from s24.postimg.org]

More fan detail:
[Linked Image from s12.postimg.org]

The rusted remains of the capacitor and transformer:
[Linked Image from s13.postimg.org]

The rotary selector switch (2 pole, 5 position):
[Linked Image from s15.postimg.org]

The name plate and switch backing plate:
[Linked Image from s27.postimg.org]

The start and run windings:
[Linked Image from s15.postimg.org]

My understanding of the circuit diagram:
[Linked Image from s12.postimg.org]

D
And here's my grandma's fan I restored (just for reference):
[Linked Image from s27.postimg.org]

L
Based on your diagram, it wouldn't start on speed 1 (you'd have to turn it to speed 2 to start, then back down). It looks to be what is known as a "bucking" transformer configuration (this article shows the general arrangement, in that case as used to slightly reduce the mains voltage) but while I've known of inductor-based controllers for (older) ceiling fans, this set-up is new to me.

The old cord definitely has to go but observing the level of rust, I'm not even sure if an acceptable earth connection can still be made. The capacitor value might be able to be worked out by trial-and-error (but watch out for dangerous series resonant effects).

One thing you've also missed out in your diagram is the centrifugal switch shown in the picture of the stator coils, this opens the start winding when the motor reaches 75-80% of full load speed, ie: the start winding is never permanently energised.
As far as sizing a suitable start capacitor goes, generally 50uF is a suitable starting point.
As a note of caution, be VERY careful with energising really old gear like this, that switch looks like it's come to the end of it's life, and I would suspect that the transformer would require a megger test before it was livened again.
Be Careful! shocked

Last edited by Trumpy; 05/13/16 11:30 PM. Reason: Added last bit
L
Originally Posted by Trumpy
One thing you've also missed out in your diagram is the centrifugal switch shown in the picture of the stator coils, this opens the start winding when the motor reaches 75-80% of full load speed, ie: the start winding is never permanently energised.

That's in motors for applications that require high starting torque (refrigeration compressors, stationary power tools, etc.). Motors used in small-to-mid-sized fans are instead designed with the capacitor permanently in-circuit. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_motor#Permanent-split_capacitor_motor)

It would also become very complicated (to say the least) to set a starting switch for 3 different speeds (ignoring the lowest speed on this fan, as noted before). And a 50uF capacitor rated for 400VAC or more across it continuously would become very bulky and expensive, I would imagine...

Last edited by LongRunner; 05/16/16 08:32 AM.
R
Fan Capacitors are usually only a few uF
2.2 uF and rated for 400 V dc or 250 V rms ac.
A cooling fan has low torque. Often the Capacitor remains switched on as the currents are low.
The transformer / inductor is in series, often all the time and causes a bigger phase shift and reduced voltage on the motor windings, hence more slip and different speeds.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.

Link Copied to Clipboard