ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Mort Offline OP
It's not set up like that at all. Basically, the panel is going to be on the back wall of a basketball court and the only time it will be used is for our (or another) special event. This will be for semi annual gaming events where people bring their own computers. The receptacles will most likely be connected via 1900 box right to the panel and we'll use (properly sized) extension cords. There will be ONE outlet per circuit so... if anything is on it, we'll know.

The job is near Chicago Heights if you change your mind =)

M
Mort Offline OP
So we had a guy come out and take a look. We decided to go with a 225kva for 600 amps.

We're going to split this up in to 3, 200 amp panels wired up for multi wire branch circuits.

Should I be concerned about uneven loading or am I thinking too much?

G
If you don't use larger neutrals when sharing circuits you may have some transformer heating, but if the transformer is already oversized you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
In the interest of storage between use some of the exhibition panels that I've done is mounted the panelboards on wheeled stands and put twistlocks on the same stand.
The various cords had twistlock plugs on them so they could be disconnected and stored (rolled up) on the same stands like garden hose would be.
smile

Ghost307
L
If I understand you correctly, you are talking about powering up a gymnasium full of PCs. If that is the case, I would suggest placing the three panels in three different corners of the space. That way you avoid a river of extension cords all coming to one location. If you are also using cabled network connections, same suggestion, spread them out to all corners.

If you can, find a local company that does temporary shows like fairs and conventions or a theater and movie equipment rental business and go see how they set up temporary power distribution.

The previous suggestion about placing the panels on movable stands that also double as cable storage is a good idea.

Alternatively, install large power receptacles at the three locations, put a mating plug on a cord that connects to the 200 Amp panel. Now the power panels and associated cables can be rolled up and stored all together.

Last edited by LarryC; 02/29/16 09:53 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard