ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 112 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
I guess if you had a 240 volt UPS, and a compliant way to connect it as a 'utility' source, it should trick the inverter to provide solar power?? What say you??

Actual utility feeds UPS. UPS output feeds subpanel. Micro inverters connected to UPS subpanel along with "vital loads". Vital loads include battery bank charger for initial UPS.

This assumes UPS can safely support loads when utility power is available and PV is not available. Basically PV powers the loads not utility. Excess power goes into batteries, not backfeeding the utility.

Cat Servant
Greg has pointed out another problem endemic to the solar industry: manufacturers vanishing. This would be a natural part of business development - how many car makers have disappeared? - but it's made much worse with the government raising hopes and expectations.

The governmental involvement also gives a major steroid shot to the scam artists. "Solyndra" is perhaps the best know such scam.

"Micros" are listed in both 120v and 240v designs. I am not aware of any LISTED units having simple plugs - they have to be wired to a dedicated breaker for back feeding. At least, that's what the instructions say!

I have no way of knowing how these units- or any other listed solar system- will interact with UPS systems, or other generation systems.

G

Greg Fretwell
S
Here's a shot of an install we did last fall>
[Linked Image from i104.photobucket.com]
This is a micro inverter pedestal w/ 'gross generation meter' , feeds into the main panel

The layout is via a local solar guru btw, we do our best to meet art 690 , etc.

The poco has their own GGM contingent who sign off

~S~

S
Originally Posted by renosteinke

I have no way of knowing how these units- or any other listed solar system- will interact with UPS systems, or other generation systems.

They anti-island REno

i have no idea how they discriminate a poco sine wave from a ups, or genny for that matter

~S~

Wow, a blast from the past....sparky is in the house!!

It's been a long drought my friend.

John
S
Apologies Hot One

anyways, the green machine has got me .....guess it was only a matter of time....:)

~S~

S
More fat for the OP conflagration if you will gentlemen ....

I hail from a small state, Vermont. It's so 'blue' one could probably pick it out from Pluto...

This means anything 'green' gets a hoof in the door easily here.

Traditionally we've been inundated with 'solar guys' , who appear shortly after most federal funds are sent to our beloved energy nazi's ,,,,Efficiency Vermont, most of which disappear quicker than sh*t thru a goose when it;s dried up...:lol:

Short version, i highly suspect most of these folks could be considered clinically unstable in any other venue given the stark cognitive dissonance they project

But you'd have to be in the trade , and witness the collusive elements behind the ROI involved

This isn't a capitalist venture , it does NOT stand on it's hind legs w/o a handout/up

Worse, they come looking, knocking on doors......all paid via that little 3% 'efficiency premium' on our GMP lectric bills

I'm hard to find (the Jehovahs have given up) yet these sorts KNOW i'm an electrician , and drag me out on my porch for a meet/greet...

I'm slowly being convinced that 'ill retire with some sort of solar powered company baseball cap here while i drool in art 690 .....

~Sparky~

~s~:

I have only seen one solar 'solicitor' knocking at my door.

We have 'solar snipers' that are in the big box stores, on the outside of 'Best Buys' (Electronics), and at the local minor league baseball field.

John
FWIW, resi solar jobs have been pouring in for plan review and permit release.

The 'grace period' drop dead date for 2011 NEC ends March 6, 2016. The rush is on.

John
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard