ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#216621 - 01/05/16 11:03 PM 14/3 other than in a kitchen
Oh Well Offline
What does ESA have to say about using 3 wire nmd-90 to feed receptacles other than in a kitchen?
Tools for Electricians:
#216640 - 01/10/16 04:06 PM Re: 14/3 other than in a kitchen [Re: Oh Well]
Potseal Offline
Loc: Saskatchewan
I assume you meant "CSA"?
I don't recall much of anything in the code book regarding 3 wire cables being used for lighting and convenience plug outlets. In Saskatchewan the only exception I am aware of between kitchen split receptacles and using a 3 wire to supply lighting and convenience receptacles elsewhere in a residence is the circuit breaker. For a split receptacle at a kitchen counter the breaker must be a double pole or two singles with a tie-bar. For the 3 wire being used for lighting and convenience receptacles you can use a single pole breaker for each hot leg. An economical way to wire but it has significant cons if, for example, the neutral is lost.

Edited by Potseal (01/10/16 04:07 PM)

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals