ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#216527 12/28/15 02:32 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Hi folks,
Call me a neanderthal or what you like, I'm still using Windows 7 on my desktop.
But it keeps nagging me to upgrade to Windows 10.
Are you guys using this on a desktop and if so, what do you think of it?
Unless I can get some real-world thoughts on this OS, I'll be sticking with Windows 7.

Your thoughts?

Trumpy:
I have not upgraded as of yet
Maybe after a while, depending on what I hear
I'm with you on #7

John
Cat Servant
Yes- and Hell No!

I upgraded my previous computer. For about two days it seemed fine - but then the glow began to dim.

My first kvetch was what did NOT come with it, what I had lost. For example, even the smallest vestige of "office" was gone .... to write and print a simple shopping list required me to add software. No word pad, no spreadsheets, nothing. I found that even simple games, like solitaire, were gone. Other programs, such as my photo editing program, did not run.

Within a week, the browser ("Edge") stopped working - in the middle of a session. It never came back. Thank heaven I had already downloaded another browser ... or I would have been unable to get on the internet at all.

Plus, there were NO resources available ... no "Dummies" book, etc.

So, when my computer died (screen failure), I made it a point to get a computer with 8.1 on it. It wasn't easy. Every new computer was either a stripped-down "Chromebook," or Windows 10. Eventually, I found one buried in the stock bin.

Games? Well, being cut off from Microsoft led me to discover other sources, such as Yahoo Games.

Most interesting, the various IT pros who had encouraged me to make the switch later denied ever saying such a thing. Oh, they won't 'bad mouth' Windows 10, claim it runs fine for them ... but also are now very careful in what they say. "You should get it" is one of the things they are NOT saying.

The new computer keeps urging me to upgrade. Not in this life!

J
What does that make me? I'm still using XP with Chrome. You can disable the annoying notifications. I followed TechSavy1's advise and they stopped.
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/disabling-windows-10-upgrade-notification
I guess I should've mentioned that I also have a laptop with Win8 that I disabled the notifications on.
Joe

Last edited by JoeTestingEngr; 12/29/15 03:58 AM.
1 member likes this: Trumpy
I went from 7 to 8.1 on my Desktop machine and lost the use of some important programs. I'm not ready to lose any more right now.

Laptop still has XP and that's OK by me.

Bill smile

Bill
S
Trumpy...to get rid of the annoying upsell from Microsoft for windows 10 you need to go to your updates and uninstall update KB3114409

That removed the constant badgering upsell bubble that comes on everytime you log in...

W
There's a program for getting rid of the windows 10 nag.
GWX control panel
It's said to be safe. But do a google search on GWX.
I've used it, haven't had any problems. your mileage may vary...

S
I upgraded one to 10 to see if I liked it. It has not been a bad experience as I did not loose any programs nor functionality. Usability suffers a bit, but it is acceptable. If I had to do that computer all over again, I probably would.

Yet that being said, I like windows 7 better and am sticking with it on another computer. I still don't like my computer with Vista (no upgrade there) and I still have two with XP not connected to the internet and they have their purposes.

Trumpy Offline OP
Exactly Bill,
I still have an ancient Dell laptop that runs XP, the only reason I'm still using it is because I can't migrate all of the music files off of the HDD to another computer because all of the DRM licences, I tried this some time ago and it nearly ended in tears.
One other reason I've stuck with this computer is that it still runs Windows Media Player 10, that let you edit media titles and what-not.
The Windows 7 desktop that I have runs WMP 12 and it has this really annoying volume compression feature that I've never been able to fully disable, it makes listening to music really painful.

G
What format are these in that you can't move them?
Can you resample them and load in MP3?
I guess I am happy that I only use MP3s

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard